Forum: Ruby on Rails Passwords in SVN?

2b2c2a705ed12f8fb327c7b4c56456c6?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Hussey (seanhussey)
Hi everyone,

Where do you all keep your passwords for your apps?  Out Subversion
repo is locked down to authorized users, and only those users can see
code in Trac.  Is it safe to store passwords in there?  For Rails?
For other scripts?  What's your strategy for this?

Thanks!

Sean
7a28bf7b0932a9486c21f1a33eb431ba?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Lieber (Guest)
On 4/11/06, Sean Hussey <seanhussey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do you all keep your passwords for your apps?  Out Subversion
> repo is locked down to authorized users, and only those users can see
> code in Trac.  Is it safe to store passwords in there?  For Rails?
> For other scripts?  What's your strategy for this?

Since the database servers on my dev machine, the other dev's machine,
and the server are different anyway, I just leave database.yml out of
Subversion and recreate it in each location where the Rails app needs
to be run. I don't think we have passwords anywhere else, but if you
do, you could put them in another YML file that you also transmit to
new installations outside version control.

> Thanks!
>
> Sean

Sincerely,

Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/
http://GadgetLife.org/
A0ed1bbfe42f4f87e6db0a16706246e2?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Greenly (mgreenly)
on 2006-04-18 14:44
Sean Hussey wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Where do you all keep your passwords for your apps?  Out Subversion
> repo is locked down to authorized users, and only those users can see
> code in Trac.  Is it safe to store passwords in there?  For Rails?
> For other scripts?  What's your strategy for this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean

I keep the default values for my database.yml in the repository and
configure my development box so it will work with them.  Presumeably
you're not modifying your production machine so often that it's a big
deal enter the password in config/database.yml manually.