Forum: Ruby on Rails "Pursuit of Happiness" ? Are you sure ?

Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
I always kind of liked this title (the title of Davids super Rails
presentation), but then I saw this quote today:

"The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue
happiness you'll never find it."  by C.P Snow

I'd have to agree with this quote.  It's the same as love... go looking
for
it, and you'll never find it.
Soooo... David, emmerce yourself in Tao Te Ching, some Buddhist texts...
etc, meditate... and come back with a title to your next presentation :)

All wise and profound Rails proverb suggestions welcome :)
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-10 22:27
I know if I want to engage in the pursuit of misery, I'll look into PHP,
Perl, Java, et al.

Joe
992fe8c19bbbc27f2b562a9f96efc03d?d=identicon&s=25 Jamis Buck (Guest)
On Apr 10, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Dylan Stamat wrote:

> presentation :)
>
> All wise and profound Rails proverb suggestions welcome :)

So.....are you really suggesting that if you want to be happy, you
ought to run around blindly doing things at random? Sounds like a
sure way to make yourself miserable, if you ask me.

I was unhappy with Python, so I went looking for something to make me
happy. I found Ruby. If I had just closed my eyes and picked a new
proglang at random, I doubt I would have found as much joy as I did
by purposefully looking for joy.

I'd be very curious to see the context in which that quote was given,
because I have a hunch it is being used wildly out of context here. ;)

- Jamis
59ea1b450935b9d70abfec4186b7a4d5?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Coleman (progressions)
on 2006-04-11 06:59
Jamis Buck wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Dylan Stamat wrote:
>
>> presentation :)
>>
>> All wise and profound Rails proverb suggestions welcome :)
>>

> So.....are you really suggesting that if you want to be happy, you
> ought to run around blindly doing things at random? Sounds like a
> sure way to make yourself miserable, if you ask me.
>
> I was unhappy with Python, so I went looking for something to make me
> happy. I found Ruby. If I had just closed my eyes and picked a new
> proglang at random, I doubt I would have found as much joy as I did
> by purposefully looking for joy.
>
> I'd be very curious to see the context in which that quote was given,
> because I have a hunch it is being used wildly out of context here. ;)
>
> - Jamis

I'm not familiar with the context of the original poster's quotation,
but it's a Buddhist conception that to "pursue" happiness is to identify
it as something external to the self, which is folly, because the self
is all and nothing exists but the self, which contains both happiness
and misery.

Of course, this might be a bit off topic for this list :)

Jeff Coleman
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Mikkel Bruun (Guest)
DHH is not pursuing happiness in the general form...
he is creating it, for himself, and for us, his true followers... ;-)

On Tuesday, April 11, 2006, at 6:59 AM, Jeff Coleman wrote:
>> sure way to make yourself miserable, if you ask me.
>
>--

Mikkel Bruun

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Ff82af3238a57fbd1212832ec1a19f28?d=identicon&s=25 Dylan Stamat (Guest)
"I'd be very curious to see the context in which that quote was given,
because I have a hunch it is being used wildly out of context here. ;)"

lol... exactly :)
and I think Jeff's explanation was excellent.
i just needed to spice up my day of rails with some self-reflection and
eastern philosophy.
if every rails source file started with a random intellectual quote, i'd
be
more productive... i swear...

sorry guys, i think i forgot the [OT] tag on subject of this post =)

On 11 Apr 2006 07:18:26 -0000, Mikkel Bruun <
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
On 4/11/06, Dylan Stamat <dylans@gmail.com> wrote:
> "I'd be very curious to see the context in which that quote was given,
> because I have a hunch it is being used wildly out of context here. ;)"
>
> lol... exactly :)
> and I think Jeff's explanation was excellent.
> i just needed to spice up my day of rails with some self-reflection and
> eastern philosophy.
> if every rails source file started with a random intellectual quote, i'd be
> more productive... i swear...

Wonder why Matz didn't borrow THAT aspect of Perl. Every Perl source
file has nice quote....albiet from LOR. Larry Wall has a great sense
of humour :) ..as evidenced by his 'State of the Onion' musings :)

-bakki