Forum: Ruby on Rails Sending email on Windows

Edbd4fa3c85c5f1f2b1d2963baed830d?d=identicon&s=25 Chinmay Kulkarni (Guest)
Hi!

I'm developing a different kind of Rails app. It's an email client
*built on RoR *which users can download and use. It'll look and feel
like a standard webapp, except that the server will be run locally
(maybe webbrick).. Basically, the idea is that:

    * Web based apps are easier to upgrade, use etc.
    * But people need to have their email and other stuff on the hard
      drive, so that it is easier to refer to, etc

The problem I'm facing is that I can't find any *libraries/resources to
send/receive email from POP in Rails*. The catch here is that the app is
meant to be /deployed/ on Windows, not just tested, and that I can't
include any dependencies outside my app - so no sendmail equivalents
etc. (My plan is making it something like InstantRails, so users just
have to unzip and start using).

Any help is appreciated.

--
Yours,
Chinmay

Peter
34f5b045aec62235c17458650ea75353?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Koppelman (hatless)
on 2006-04-08 08:13
POP doesn't send mail. It retrieves it. SMTP sends it. ActionMailer can
handle all the sending. You'll want the user to be able to configure the
application with their SMTP server info.

Not to discourage you or anything, but how is this different from taking
any of the dozens of free/open-source webmail apps that already exist
and packaging and preconfiguring it with a bundled webserver for use on
a local PC?