Forum: Ruby Park Place -- an Amazon S3 clone

4674615d2cf231975c741731be9a8685?d=identicon&s=25 why the lucky stiff (Guest)
Amazon has a very nice little service for storing files. [1]  However,
in order to use it at all, you need to agree to a big length of verbage
and then fish some dimes out of petty cash.  Dimes are small and Amazon
knows this.

Park Place is a clone of their service.  You can store files on Park
Place using very simple code from any language.  Set up user accounts,
control access, works just like Amazon's. [2]  With the help of Camping,
ActiveRecord and Mongrel, it does its job in ~400 lines of Ruby.

It's home on the web is at: http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/parkplace/

If you'd like to give it a try, I'd suggest:

 gem install camping --source code.whytheluckystiff.net
 gem install mongrel activerecord
 svn co http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/svn/parkplace/trunk parkplace
 cd parkplace/lib
 ruby parkplace.rb

Please make sure you've got the latest Camping, Mongrel and
ActiveRecord.  In the next few days, I'll get this all wrapped up tidy
and handsome in a gem.

_why

[1] http://s3.amazonaws.com/
[2] http://s3.amazonaws.com/doc/s3-developer-guide/index.htmlh
455ac2a64d06dc8461f4d258d7f7e980?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Trier (Guest)
Very cool.  Damn, I needed this yesterday.  :)  Thanks for all of your
work.

Michael
280b41a88665fd8c699e83a9a25ef949?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Waits (Guest)
why the lucky stiff wrote:
> Park Place is a clone of their service.  You can store files on Park

As a side note, "Park Place" was the name of the game development studio
in San Diego, which became SISA (Sony Interactive), then 989 Studios
(out of which Verant was born, which became SOE), and ultimately SCEA
(Sony Computer Entertainment America).

It's also the name of about a million other things.

Oh, and nice package.  I expect nothing less.

--Steve
1dfb026cfdfe73c7171c653da29c134d?d=identicon&s=25 Al Gordon (Guest)
On 4/7/06, why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk@whytheluckystiff.net> wrote:
> It's home on the web is at: http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/parkplace/
> ActiveRecord.  In the next few days, I'll get this all wrapped up tidy
> and handsome in a gem.
>
> _why
>
> [1] http://s3.amazonaws.com/
> [2] http://s3.amazonaws.com/doc/s3-developer-guide/index.htmlh

Why, no gem yet?

--

  -- AL --
Al Gordon wrote:
> Why, no gem yet?
Yes, for 0.7:

  gem install parkplace --source code.whytheluckystiff.net

_why