Forum: Ruby Question about extending schemas at run-time

0e038ce99f73597f8001232c16288d34?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
on 2006-04-07 17:54
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I probably am using the
wrong keywords to search. I'd like to know if there is a way to use Ruby
to create dynamic schemas. As an example, I'd like to create an
administrative page that would allow administers to add or remove fields
from that page - which results in a modification to the schema of the
table in the database. Can this be done at runtime without having to
restart Ruby?
On 4/7/06, Eric <rubberduckeea@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been brought up before but I probably am using the
> wrong keywords to search. I'd like to know if there is a way to use Ruby
> to create dynamic schemas. As an example, I'd like to create an
> administrative page that would allow administers to add or remove fields
> from that page - which results in a modification to the schema of the
> table in the database. Can this be done at runtime without having to
> restart Ruby?

Are you using Rails?

If so, you're probably going to have better luck on the Rails mailing
list (http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails).

If not, much more information is required.

-austin
0e038ce99f73597f8001232c16288d34?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
on 2006-04-07 20:28
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Eric <rubberduckeea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure this has been brought up before but I probably am using the
>> wrong keywords to search. I'd like to know if there is a way to use Ruby
>> to create dynamic schemas. As an example, I'd like to create an
>> administrative page that would allow administers to add or remove fields
>> from that page - which results in a modification to the schema of the
>> table in the database. Can this be done at runtime without having to
>> restart Ruby?
>
> Are you using Rails?
>
> If so, you're probably going to have better luck on the Rails mailing
> list (http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails).
>
> If not, much more information is required.
>
> -austin

I'm going to use Rails - Perhaps I will post this question there.