Forum: Ruby on Rails is it worth learning ruby?

Fc5881f7fd752739b86b3521ca88a7e4?d=identicon&s=25 Altar An (furious)
on 2006-04-07 02:59
Hi all,
Does it make sense to learn Ruby if one doesn't know html?
Or would you recommend to learn html as a base?
I'm so impressed with the Ruby on Rails demos I saw... I'd love to be
able to develop such apps
868631c015c321fc99109d3269d80330?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Jordan (Guest)
I just bought the Learn to Program by Chris Pine.  I'm only a few
chapters into it and its been fun so far!  I'm not a programmer but so
far, so good.  Also, your going to need HTML background for anything you
do on the web.

TJ
D4b246038154d7cc2363256bd25a4fe0?d=identicon&s=25 Larry White (Guest)
You should probably learn some Ruby outside of rails to get started.
Rails
requires some understanding of databases, the  MVC design pattern and
Ruby
(obviously), besides HTML.

You can learn Rails and HTML together assuming you have some programming
background.  I'd recommend the Head First HTML/CSS book, it's really
clear
and will take you pretty far, and would strongly recommend Agile
Programming
with Rails.
460fa7d0cef78d6b1054b756cc339bfb?d=identicon&s=25 Fernando Martin Palermo (Guest)
you only need know html basic skills, no more.

altar an escribió:
59ea1b450935b9d70abfec4186b7a4d5?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Coleman (progressions)
on 2006-04-07 03:17
altar an wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does it make sense to learn Ruby if one doesn't know html?
> Or would you recommend to learn html as a base?
> I'm so impressed with the Ruby on Rails demos I saw... I'd love to be
> able to develop such apps

They are completely different things, each one very useful but not
necessary together.

HTML is a markup language, which means it just controls the structure of
web pages.  If you're going to be working on the web, with Ruby on Rails
or any other web language, knowing HTML is essential.  Also learn CSS,
Cascading Style Sheets, which is the presentation language controlling
the way HTML documents *look* on the web.

Ruby is a programming language, which is much different.  It's a great
language, so if you want to program, then certainly Ruby is an excellent
choice.  If you're going to be using Ruby on Rails, then knowing Ruby is
also essential and you should learn Ruby before beginning with Rails.

In short, if you're using Ruby on Rails, then yes, it's essential to
know Ruby, Rails, HTML and CSS.

If you just want to write programs, then Rails, HTML and CSS aren't
essential.

Jeff Coleman
73606b1d1042de19056f3d59492b652f?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (beachguy82)
on 2006-04-07 03:21
altar an wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does it make sense to learn Ruby if one doesn't know html?
> Or would you recommend to learn html as a base?
> I'm so impressed with the Ruby on Rails demos I saw... I'd love to be
> able to develop such apps

If you are interested in web apps, then just dive right in.  You can't
learn the server side of cgi unless you have the client side to interact
with and you'll get bored real fast if you only learn html. Try not to
think of them as seperate entities.  You'll definately need to learn
them both.
Fc5881f7fd752739b86b3521ca88a7e4?d=identicon&s=25 Altar An (furious)
on 2006-04-07 03:38
Thanks for all the good advice.
So I'd better learn html, css and then Ruby
4005a47a8f2ceee49670b920593c1d52?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
I disagree.

Anyone who is going to write web applications in *any* language should
take the time to
learn (x)html and css properly and thoroughly. This includes a lot of
xml stuff too like
entities, document types, etc. It is truly sad how little respect there
is in the world
for lowly html.

Fa389a84648d5b88e94bc1918dbe6234?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Ayerst (Guest)
You don't need to learn any of them first.  Though if you are already a
programmer and you don't know html and css you will find it frustrating
(well I did, I spend the majority of my time trying to get styles right)

What you need is a project, an itch to scratch, something your NEED to
get done.  If you have that you'll work out the rest.