Forum: Ruby on Rails GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick and RMagic on OS X

12be02204a4bcaeec2c6c369fe53a45b?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Hoefler (Guest)
Hi all,

I've been trying to install GraphicsMagick with RMagic. I've tried
ImageMagick with RMagic as well. I've tried the installations using
Darwin
Ports, Gems and from source. Nothing seems to work properly.

My specs:
ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.5.0]

rails --version
Rails 1.1.0

convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.1.8 04/05/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC

Some of the error messages I've received while using GraphicsMagick are
as
follows: (and I did download the 1.1.7 source from GraphicsMagick's
site)

---------------------------
[This happened when I was trying to execute a short Ruby script from
within
Textmate]

RuntimeError: This version of RMagick was created to run with
GraphicsMagick
1.1.7 but GraphicsMagick 1.1.6 is installed on this system. You should
either 1) refer to the RMagick README file to learn how to create a
version
of RMagick for GraphicsMagick 1.1.6, or 2) download GraphicsMagick
1.1.7from
http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/ and install it.

---------------------------
[Appeared during the compiling of GraphicsMagick]

This installation of RMagick 1.10.1 is configured for
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.5.0] and GraphicsMagick 1.1.7.

---------------------------
[Also appeared during the compiling of GraphicsMagick]

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.10.1/ext/RMagick/RMagick.bundle:
This version of RMagick was created to run with GraphicsMagick
1.1.7(RuntimeError)
but GraphicsMagick 1.1.6 is installed on this system. You should either
   1) refer to the RMagick README file to learn how to create
      a version of RMagick for GraphicsMagick 1.1.6, or
   2) download GraphicsMagick 1.1.7 from http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
and
install it. from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.10.1
/lib/RMagick.rb:11
        from Adispatch.rb:2

----------------------------

When executing this tiny bit of code below using GraphicsMagick I
receive an
error of "RMagick: unable to open X server `'.

-------------------
 require 'RMagick'
 include Magick

 cat = ImageList.new("presentation.jpg")
 cat.display
 exit
-------------------

Am I getting close?

Thank you in advance!
Dave Hoefler
807e34b31d5463a9ac05d41458a9e537?d=identicon&s=25 Al Evans (al-evans)
on 2006-04-06 23:50
Dave Hoefler wrote:

> My specs:
> ruby --version
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.5.0]
>
> rails --version
> Rails 1.1.0
>
> convert -version
> Version: ImageMagick 6.1.8 04/05/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
> Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC
>
> Some of the error messages I've received while using GraphicsMagick are
> as
> follows: (and I did download the 1.1.7 source from GraphicsMagick's
> site)
>
> ---------------------------
> [This happened when I was trying to execute a short Ruby script from
> within
> Textmate]
>
> RuntimeError: This version of RMagick was created to run with
> GraphicsMagick
> 1.1.7 but GraphicsMagick 1.1.6 is installed on this system. You should
> either 1) refer to the RMagick README file to learn how to create a
> version
> of RMagick for GraphicsMagick 1.1.6, or 2) download GraphicsMagick
> 1.1.7from
> http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/ and install it.

(etc.)

Do you maybe have ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick BOTH installed? You
should probably uninstall (sudo make uninstall or sudo port uninstall,
if you installed it from DarwinPorts) one or the other.

Did you follow the FAQ at
http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html ?

It worked for me, mostly. When I did it, DarwinPorts' ghostscript
install was hosed, and I had to find and install ghostscript (and its
fonts) manually. Also the version of libtiff that "port" installed
somewhere in the process was no good, and this was hard to find out:-) A
note has been added to the above FAQ with a pointer to latest version,
which works.

I found what whenever I changed anything, I had to reconfigure/rebuild
everything from the bottom up -- libs, whateverMagick, then RMagick. It
took an obnoxiously long time, but it works fine now. I ended up with
the lastest version on ImageMagick, ImageMagick 6.2.6 03/21/06.

> When executing this tiny bit of code below using GraphicsMagick I
> receive an
> error of "RMagick: unable to open X server `'.
>
> -------------------
>  require 'RMagick'
>  include Magick
>
>  cat = ImageList.new("presentation.jpg")
>  cat.display
>  exit
> -------------------

If everything else is working, this will work if you start X and run it
from an xterm.

Hope this helps! I spent a long and frustrating day getting it all
working, but it can be done!

--Al Evans
5214532353dd528a50ead7d3beb866cb?d=identicon&s=25 William Groppe (Guest)
I ran into ImageMagick install issues as well for my new Intel iMac,
the up side is I installed ImageMagick and the libraries I needed from
source.  I also managed to take some notes:

http://lfthoughts.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_lfthough...

Now it will never work with the display method call, because it
assumes you have OS X without all the Darwin Ports/Fink stuff.

I never liked having to install all the Darwin Ports/Fink stuff just
to get ImageMagick.  Now you don't need to.

-Will
12be02204a4bcaeec2c6c369fe53a45b?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Hoefler (Guest)
William,

Thank you! Your instructions are perfect. Everything installed without a
hitch. I could really care less about the display method :-)

Thanks again!
5214532353dd528a50ead7d3beb866cb?d=identicon&s=25 William Groppe (Guest)
My pleasure.  Glad it helped ya.

-Will