Forum: Ruby ruby module for editing open office files

73606b1d1042de19056f3d59492b652f?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (beachguy82)
on 2006-04-06 01:35
I'm having trouble finding a module to edit open office files.  I know
they are stored as xml inside a zip file, but I don't want to have to
roll my own solution unless necessary.  There is oo4r but that hasn't
been updated in over 2 years and there is no documentation.  Is there a
more recent and or documented module that will let me edit open office
documents?
7e6ee7bc26cac7c3f1edce27558ced3d?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Sader (ksader)
Have you tried win32ole?  If you have a decent OLE object browser you
should be able to find what you need.
1dfb026cfdfe73c7171c653da29c134d?d=identicon&s=25 Al Gordon (Guest)
I think Charlie means OpenOffice.org documents.  How would win32ole do
that?

I'm also interested in this.  I may have a project or two coming up in
the near future that will require me to do some automation with
various OO.o documents, and I'd love to do the work in Ruby.

--

  -- AL --
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
charlie bowman wrote:
> I'm having trouble finding a module to edit open office files.  I know
> they are stored as xml inside a zip file, but I don't want to have to
> roll my own solution unless necessary.  There is oo4r but that hasn't
> been updated in over 2 years and there is no documentation.  Is there a
> more recent and or documented module that will let me edit open office
> documents?

This program is to convert odf (open document format) to xhtml. It might
be a good starting point for what you want to do.
http://books.evc-cit.info/odf_utils/ruby_to_xhtml.html

And this project
http://www.jus.uio.no/sisu/
is able to output to odf.

Edwin

P.S. OpenOffice 2 and later uses odf as its default file format.