Forum: Ruby on Rails Development Mode on Dreamhost

A111108ed3617edc35da89e84689c3c2?d=identicon&s=25 Arch Stanton (d6veteran)
on 2006-04-05 18:17
Anyone know (or know where to point me to) to figure out how to force
Rails into development mode?  I'd like to not have to kill dispatch.fcgi
everytime I make a change.  My site is not live and I'm just doing
development and testing right now.

Thanks.
Aa880989a2c401666945d32027522ca0?d=identicon&s=25 Takashi Okamoto (Guest)
you can set:

ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'development'

in environment.rb

but you should do all your development locally.

-tak.
2899cec9af525f7953e19c8210aca97c?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Perkins (Guest)
On Apr 5, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Arch Stanton wrote:

> Anyone know (or know where to point me to) to figure out how to force
> Rails into development mode?  I'd like to not have to kill
> dispatch.fcgi
> everytime I make a change.  My site is not live and I'm just doing
> development and testing right now.

Why wouldn't you do dev and testing locally?

--
Jason Perkins
jperkins@sneer.org

"The computer allows you to make mistakes
faster than any other invention, with the
possible exception of handguns and tequila."

-Mitch Ratcliffe
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
As a Dreamhost subscriber, I will be forced to hunt you down and slap
you
with a carp if you run in Dev mode. :)

But seriously...
fcgi + dev mode = memory leak, and that hurts everyone on a shared host.

Do your development on your own machine with WEBrick or Mongrel or your
own
Apache + FCGI.
A111108ed3617edc35da89e84689c3c2?d=identicon&s=25 Arch Stanton (d6veteran)
on 2006-04-05 18:51
Brian Hogan wrote:
> As a Dreamhost subscriber, I will be forced to hunt you down and slap
> you
> with a carp if you run in Dev mode. :)
>
> But seriously...
> fcgi + dev mode = memory leak, and that hurts everyone on a shared host.
>
> Do your development on your own machine with WEBrick or Mongrel or your
> own
> Apache + FCGI.

Ok will do.  Thanks.