Forum: Ruby on Rails Maintaining and securing the "Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 11:52
(Received via mailing list)
Hi there

I'm planning to build "The Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd Stack",
published by Ezra Zygmuntowicz and Sean Schertell at
http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

I'm wondering what sort of constant maintanance that setup would
incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
healthy and secure under normal conditions?

Alder
D893e113b51a8f200d2abb3ed9e54143?d=identicon&s=25 Gaspard Bucher (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 14:03
(Received via mailing list)
Alder Green <alder.green@...> writes:

>
> Alder
>
Please keep me informed (if possible) on this topic,

Thanks

Gaspard
6076c22b65b36f5d75c30bdcfb2fda85?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 01:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:52 AM, Gaspard Bucher wrote:

>> incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
>> healthy and secure under normal conditions?
>>
>> Alder
>>
> Please keep me informed (if possible) on this topic,
>
> Thanks
>
> Gaspard


Guys-

	This is a very broad question ;-) IF you follow the steps to put
sshd on a higher port you will avoid tons of automated ssh attacks.
As far as maintenance goes, you will need to rotate your log files
and delete sessions older then a certain time frame with a cron job.

	THere is a great debian sys admin web site that has many tutorials
on things like firewall rules and other security measures. Aside from
these things mentioned, as long as you don't write insecure web apps
that allow attackers to gain a foothold, you should be alright.

http://www.debian-administration.org/

	Its not a ton of work to run your own server, especially if its just
for a few small apps. I have a vps setup with the same guidekines
that runs my blog and I hardly ever have to log into the server to do
anything. YMMV of course but don't be afraid of your own server. Its
a rewarding experience.

	And you can always ask here on the list and I will try to help out
with problems you run into.

Good Luck-

Ezra
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 07:30
(Received via mailing list)
On 4/5/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html
> >
>        THere is a great debian sys admin web site that has many tutorials
> a rewarding experience.
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
>

Thanks (again!) Ezra.

Alder
4daf0b71d5d9a3882e583c0e72eaf5dc?d=identicon&s=25 Alan Francis (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 10:54
Alder Green wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm planning to build "The Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd Stack",
> published by Ezra Zygmuntowicz and Sean Schertell at
> http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html
>
> I'm wondering what sort of constant maintanance that setup would
> incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
> healthy and secure under normal conditions?
>
> Alder

Hi Alder,

Just a note to say I followed the tutorial and all went swimmingly.  I
had a little problem when I went for a newer version of lighty than was
mentioned, reverted, all was well, and have since upgraded to a newer
newer version and all is still well.

Alan
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.