Forum: Ruby on Rails Membership Management System Plugin/Gem?

40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi, I'm looking to create an online internet community for managing
user profiles and other data.  Thus, I would need that has the
following features:

o  authentication
    - protect individual member pages/directories

o  session management

o  retrieve and reset passwords

In short, I'm looking to create an online community.  Thus, can
someone direct me to a plugin(s) for completing this task?  Finally,
I'm new to Rails but it seems alot easier than ASP.Net being that I
have a Unix environment to work with and Rails seems to create few
lines of code from what I have experienced.  Gotta go and thanks in
advance.

Peace,

-Conrad
Ecf15b0bccba46fe1285f392b3ad0dde?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Styles (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 13:12
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to create an online internet community for managing
> user profiles and other data.  Thus, I would need that has the
> following features:
>
> o  authentication
>     - protect individual member pages/directories
>
> o  session management
>
> o  retrieve and reset passwords
>
> In short, I'm looking to create an online community.  Thus, can
> someone direct me to a plugin(s) for completing this task?

Conrad,

The auth_generator gem is excellent from my experience.

http://penso.info/rails/auth_generator/

Though there are a number of other methods disussed on the rails wiki.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Authentication

Good luck with your project.
Cheers
Tom
807e34b31d5463a9ac05d41458a9e537?d=identicon&s=25 Al Evans (al-evans)
on 2006-04-04 14:05
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to create an online internet community for managing
> user profiles and other data.  Thus, I would need that has the
> following features:
>
> o  authentication
>     - protect individual member pages/directories
>
> o  session management
>
> o  retrieve and reset passwords

Take a look at OpenID:

http://openid.net

...and at OpenProfile:

http://rtest.openprofile.net

This approach has the advantage, in potential, of letting users sign up
for many sites with only one password/profile.

--Al Evans
34f5b045aec62235c17458650ea75353?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Koppelman (hatless)
on 2006-04-04 14:39
Since you're asking on a Rails list and don't mention requirements like
integration with other applications outside Rails, I'll recommend you
look at  the LoginEngine/UserEngine combo from the rails-engines.org
site. There are probably at least three or four plugins and add-on
generators that are at least as robust, though.

As you look at things like this and AuthGenerator, ActiveRBAC and
others, you'll want to look through the ddocumentation and see what
sounds good to you. Maybe more importantly since so much of this, like
RoR itself, is new, you'll also want to make note of how actively it's
being developed and maintained. For instance, Bruce Perens wrote a
pretty good plugin for this called ModelSecurity with some very nice
hooks for controlling access down to the object attribute level, but it
hasn't been actively updated in a few months, thew mailing list is an
echo chamber, and it may well no longer work with new versions of RoR.

In other words, of the solutions that meet your needs, go with one with
a reasonably active mailing list and that has been updated recently.

Conrad Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to create an online internet community for managing
> user profiles and other data.  Thus, I would need that has the
> following features:
>
> o  authentication
>     - protect individual member pages/directories
>
> o  session management
>
> o  retrieve and reset passwords
>
> In short, I'm looking to create an online community.  Thus, can
> someone direct me to a plugin(s) for completing this task?  Finally,
> I'm new to Rails but it seems alot easier than ASP.Net being that I
> have a Unix environment to work with and Rails seems to create few
> lines of code from what I have experienced.  Gotta go and thanks in
> advance.
>
> Peace,
>
> -Conrad
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Thanks everyone for you comments.

-Conrad