Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Rails VPS Business Hosting

E25296bf52723dc37bc462271eb02d2d?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Pfeifer (jpfeifer)
Great, thanks for the respnses everyone.  I'm thinking this looks like a
good option for myself....

Cheers.
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
I use http://www.serverpowered.com/vps.php

The developer server has Rails, mysql, postgersql, php, Apache2 and
fcgi preinstalled and everything ready for use. The fact that it has 3
ip addresses also allows you to bind one ip address to Apache for
production service and use another one for lighttpd development or
testing service and such. Allowing you to restart end freely test
without disturbing application that are in stable use. I just find
that solution a little bit better than using multiple ports.

Only thing I really had to change was that I had to manually install
newer svn as CentOs only has version 1.1.

On 4/3/06, Jason Pfeifer <jpfeifer@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Great, thanks for the respnses everyone.  I'm thinking this looks like a
> good option for myself....
>
> Cheers.

Except that serverpowered uses virtuozzo and not Xen. Save yourself
the trouble and don't ever buy a VPS that uses anything other then
Xen as the virtualization platform. It is way more performant then
any other tech for virtualization.

	Rimuhosting has been most excellent to me. They are consistent and
good tech support folks. I highly recommend them as a great VPS
hosting provider.

Cheers-
-Ezra
0ca6dacbed829354319d844346cbd5f3?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Sketcher (Guest)
I've had a try of RimuHosting as well and the _only_ issue I had with
it was that I wanted to run quite a few sites on the VPS and the
dispatchers (at 20/30meg a pop) ate up the 128M memory quite quickly.
So i'm having a comparative look at unixshell.com (where you can get
256M for the same price) before I choose which one to stick with.

Cheers,
Dan
5b1b906e6d15f3c7b211dac6242e490b?d=identicon&s=25 albert elegance (Guest)
unixshell has some support issues you can easily google.

I use PowerVPS, which offers a better deal than Rimu Hosting and has
reputable support that'll respond to your emails within hours, if not
minutes. They do use Virtuozzo, however.
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
I think we are almost to the point of saying
- "My VPS is bigger than yours"
- "My VPS can beat up your VPS"
;)

I think the VPSs are pretty much all alike. There are these two main
types. xen and virtuozzo. Xen seems to have better performance. Most
of these like ServerPowered have almost instant activation and you can
talk with the guy setting your's up and make special requests.

I am however wondering if something like these can be useful if you
have many applications running on your server.

http://www.macminicolo.net/index.html
http://www.iws-hosting.co.uk/mac-mini-hosting.htm

It's a middlestep between running a full server and a vps. Low price
and the added nicety of higher memory. You would however have to
configure everything from scratch.

On 4/4/06, albert elegance <r888888888@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So i'm having a comparative look at unixshell.com (where you can get
> Rails mailing list
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Jon Gretar Borgthorsson wrote:
> I am however wondering if something like these can be useful if you
> have many applications running on your server.
>
> http://www.macminicolo.net/index.html
> http://www.iws-hosting.co.uk/mac-mini-hosting.htm
>
> It's a middlestep between running a full server and a vps. Low price
> and the added nicety of higher memory. You would however have to
> configure everything from scratch.

Hmmm.. have you thought about bandwidth? Those have low bandwidth
allowances and high costs per excess GB.

In another thread, Ezra wrote:

<quote>
But it sounds like you want a dedicated box(<$200). I have a few
dedicated boxes at http://layeredtech.com. You can get a sweet AMD
3800+ with 1gig ram and 80gig hd for $89/month. Its hard to beat that
price and they have a really good reputation on webhostingtalk.
</quote>

Their servers start at $65/month, with 1000GB bandwidth.

regards

   Justin
804bfba7969f642f671ba1316c378af1?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Mathieson (Guest)
for vps try a2b2.com - boxes in US & UK; cheap, good bandwidth
allocation,
stable, EXCELLENT service - you'll have to install yourself although i
believe they offer semi-managed vps for a small extra charge (i'm a
cheapskate and do it myself)

vps come with a choice OS/control panel (or not)

also does dedicated/shared/reseller