Forum: Ruby Can rubyzip do password protected files?

Ade235cb048e4aa012903274d39efd4a?d=identicon&s=25 José Luis (Guest)
Hi.

I've been looking at the rubyzip docs and haven't found anything
concerning ziping/unziping password protected files.

Does rubyzip or any other lib have that capability?

Thanks in advance.
2951645b1555f3dfc5e233a8a7e32edc?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I ran into this myself recently.  Rubyzip is a wrapper around the zlib
compression library.

Zlib itself doesn't support password protected zips.  There is another
library made by the same folks that created zlib called Info-zip.  It
does support password protection but you'll have to write your own to
wrapper to make it a Ruby extension.

N.B.  There's a comment in the source for info-zip that implies that
the password protection handling is hard to work with.  I found that to
be the case.  In the end, I purchased a third party compression library
(from ChilKat).
Ade235cb048e4aa012903274d39efd4a?d=identicon&s=25 José Luis (Guest)
Thanks for the fast response.

r.b.hicks@gmail.com wrote:
> be the case.  In the end, I purchased a third party compression library
> (from ChilKat).

I had a feeling that would be the case.
Thanks for the tip.