Forum: Ruby on Rails Javascript helpers not updating table row in IE6

B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-04-03 11:31
Trying to replace a table row with an id using both RJS templates and
normal link_to_remote :update. Neither work in IE6, fine in FF etc.

If I use the same code but target a div with an ID it works. This is
tricky as I have a table with edit buttons, when the button is pressed
that row gets updated with a partial containing a form for update. I
need this to work as II  don't fancy rewriting the whole table in CSS
with spans etc as it defeats the objective of having tabular data
displayed.
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-04-03 12:44
James Whittaker wrote:
> Trying to replace a table row with an id using both RJS templates and
> normal link_to_remote :update. Neither work in IE6, fine in FF etc.
>
> If I use the same code but target a div with an ID it works. This is
> tricky as I have a table with edit buttons, when the button is pressed
> that row gets updated with a partial containing a form for update. I
> need this to work as II  don't fancy rewriting the whole table in CSS
> with spans etc as it defeats the objective of having tabular data
> displayed.

bump
James Whittaker wrote:

> bump

Is this useful at all?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/tables/b...
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-04-03 13:07
Alex Young wrote:
> James Whittaker wrote:
>>
>> bump
>>
> Is this useful at all?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/tables/b...

I have been soing some tests. Its seems that the Prototype library is at
fault because if I try to use Element.update('myId, "new text"). It does
not work on the table row.
James Whittaker wrote:
> It does not work on the table row.
Did you read the page?  I quote:

> Note When using Dynamic HTML (DHTML) to create a document, you can
> create objects and set the innerText or innerHTML property of the
> object. However, because of the specific structure required by
> tables, the innerText and innerHTML properties of the table and tr
> objects are read-only.

This is a limitation of IE, not Prototype.
A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Hall (Guest)
>From the link previously posted:

**The *innerText* and *innerHTML* properties are read-only on the
*tr*object.

it's not a Prototype problem.
B0be4bfef5a22697a0f44f4fe295aaef?d=identicon&s=25 James Whittaker (aftershock)
on 2006-04-03 14:10
Chris Hall wrote:
>>From the link previously posted:
>
> **The *innerText* and *innerHTML* properties are read-only on the
> *tr*object.
>
> it's not a Prototype problem.

Thanks, how silly is that. A simple thing to achieve in any browser
except IE.
467a76da87d56dab5e6f51b4d2e19c66?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Tomes (Guest)
Chris Hall wrote:
>  >From the link previously posted:
>
> **The *innerText* and *innerHTML* properties are read-only on the *tr*
> object.
>
> it's not a Prototype problem.

If the job of Prototype is to protect the user from browser differences
(which I believe it is) then Prototype ought to handle this.

However, if it was me maintaining Prototype I would have my head firmly
in a bucket of sand at this point.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\