Forum: Ruby on Rails What IDE for Rails on OSX?

D4b246038154d7cc2363256bd25a4fe0?d=identicon&s=25 Larry White (Guest)

I'm using TextMate for rails development on OSX, but have reached a
point
where I need to run in a debugger and be able to step through the code
as it
executes.  I have previously used the Eclipse Ruby plug in and another
IDE
for ruby development on windows, but never figured out how to run a
Rails
app in the debugger.

How are other textmate users debugging and what else is there on the
Mac?

thanks.
31ae911dd0fe0ee0b81519d6d2627886?d=identicon&s=25 Gravy Face (gravyface)
D4b246038154d7cc2363256bd25a4fe0?d=identicon&s=25 Larry White (Guest)
well, I've tried it now but I can't get it to work.  I'm getting this.

No connection to breakpoint service at druby://localhost:42531
(DRb::DRbConnError)
Tries to connect will be made every 2 seconds...

I tried the supposed OSX work around of

sudo ip6 -d lo0

followed by:

./script/breakpointer --client-uri=druby://localhost:12345

but with the same result. Any suggestions?
31ae911dd0fe0ee0b81519d6d2627886?d=identicon&s=25 Gravy Face (gravyface)
Sorry, I have not used it myself (just noticed it in my travels) but
try running netstat -an while its running and see if anything is
listening on that port.
3fdda7e032a5619199486d05b506ced4?d=identicon&s=25 Brad Daily (bdaily)
on 2006-04-01 22:26
Larry White wrote:
> well, I've tried it now but I can't get it to work.  I'm getting this.
>
> No connection to breakpoint service at druby://localhost:42531
> (DRb::DRbConnError)
> Tries to connect will be made every 2 seconds...
>
> I tried the supposed OSX work around of
>
> sudo ip6 -d lo0
>
> followed by:
>
> ./script/breakpointer --client-uri=druby://localhost:12345
>
> but with the same result. Any suggestions?

This is actually how it is *supposed* to work. It only comes to life
when a breakpoint is encountered in your code. So, let's say you insert
a breakpoint somewhere in your code, then with a browser hit your
application in a way that the breakpoint is encountered. Then the
terminal that breakpointer is running in will become an irb session with
all the variables up to that point in the code available.
On 4/1/06, Brad Daily <brad@bradleyboy.com> wrote:
> > sudo ip6 -d lo0
> application in a way that the breakpoint is encountered. Then the
> terminal that breakpointer is running in will become an irb session with
> all the variables up to that point in the code available.

You're right.  It is working. The documentation at the link above seems
suggest that this is an error condition, but it's working fine.  Thanks.