Forum: Ruby Ruby Goes to the Sun

I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!

The purchase takes effect on Christmas; in preparation for Sun
ownership, Matz is adding static typing (so it plays better with
Java(tm)), and replacing those annoying "end" keywords with significant
indentation, a la Python.  (You'll get used to it.)  The new name will
be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.

The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
interplanetary navigation library.  Pretty sweet!

--
James Britt

"In Ruby, no one cares who your parents were, all they care
  about is if you know  what you are talking about."
   - Logan Capaldo
D257aa96373ab45e0ef15cfdb60efe33?d=identicon&s=25 D_Guidi (Guest)
Today it's the joke day... nice ... :)
4034df6027cbecf3f4a19a711a248536?d=identicon&s=25 Steven Hansen (rooster)
That's just not funny.
04d307955fbee7c9d6a6b7aed8159858?d=identicon&s=25 Ralph "PJPizza" Siegler (Guest)
Did you catch the linked article about YARV?  Koichi-San explains how
relieved
he is to just let everyone use the JVM, since YARV development
was really starting to get tedious and annoying, having to support all
that dynamic silliness, not to mention  all the metaprogramming Ruby
allows
which mostly is used by bright developers just to show off.  This will
have the immediate benefit of speeding Ruby execution by a factor of
twenty
to a hundred, making Ruby much more suitable for general purpose use,
and
a real threat to traditional compiled languages such as COBOL, mainframe
assembler and .NET.

Ralph
9358cc96c46055cd68d4a76a9aefe026?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Harple (Guest)
On Apr 1, 2006, at 5:31 PM, James Britt wrote:

> Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000

No 6 in that name?

-- Daniel
8059d51ffb5c08e1cb99d9eebf8b5718?d=identicon&s=25 Jared Richardson (Guest)
Excellent! I can't wait for Enterprise Ruby Beans!

Jared
http://jaredrichardson.net
58213d4c1552914aaa20e9cab0010149?d=identicon&s=25 David N. Welton (Guest)
James Britt wrote:
> I've not seen this translated anyplace, but the Japanese Ruby site has
> an announcement about Ruby being bought (yeah, I was surprised, too) by
> Sun Microsystems; Matz is moving to California!

I heard that that Hanson guy was putting the band back together for the
MMMBop reunion tour:

http://dedasys.com/hanson_mmmbop.jpg

Sadly, that will leave him little time for Rails hacking.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/
0b561a629b87f0bbf71b45ee5a48febb?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Burt (Guest)
Jared Richardson wrote:
> Excellent! I can't wait for Enterprise Ruby Beans!

No, they will have to find a new name, we already have an ERB, eRuby!

Dave
On 4/1/06, Dave Burt <dave@burt.id.au> wrote:

I think James should have waited to announce this a day later, but it
becomes clear that he writes the truth when thinking about the imprtance
the
sun has in Japanese tradation,
what April 2nd already?
Too bad

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein
DÅ?a Sobota 01 Apríl 2006 17:31 James Britt napísal:
> The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
> interplanetary navigation library.  Pretty sweet!

Pffft, -waaay- too obvious. I prefer April's Fools jokes that are
completely
believable. Setting up hoax sites with fake news articles would gain
major
bonus points ;P Possibly an interview with the Sun CEO as a mild
giveaway ;P

David Vallner
David Vallner wrote:
>>be Ruby 2 Enterprise Edition 3000.
>>
>>The best part, though, is that James Gosling will be adding an
>>interplanetary navigation library.  Pretty sweet!
>

> Pffft, -waaay- too obvious. I prefer April's Fools jokes that are completely
> believable. Setting up hoax sites with fake news articles would gain major
> bonus points ;P Possibly an interview with the Sun CEO as a mild giveaway ;P

You forgot the link.

--
James Britt

http://r2ee3k.sun.com       - Next-generation Enterprise Ruby
DÅ?a Nedeľa 02 Apríl 2006 02:47 James Britt napísal:
> You forgot the link.

Hmm, didn't get that one with the original mail...

Amazingly enough, googling for "next generation enterprise ruby" yields
two
Star Trek links in the first ten results. Coincidence? I think not ;)

David Vallner