Forum: Ruby Important features of Ruby

329df580fd6f0ad5fd39920dd214397e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Dear all,

I'm pretty new to Ruby and I've discovered that it has a number of nice
ideas such as blocks and mixins. I wonder, however, what features of
Ruby would the experts consider as being the most important ones? Why
does Ruby gain more and more attention nowadays? Is it due to its
ability to combine OO, functional and scripting ideas? Or due to rapid
development of database-backed web applications with Ruby on Rails?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Tani (Guest)
A.Serebrenik@tue.nl wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm pretty new to Ruby and I've discovered that it has a number of nice
> ideas such as blocks and mixins. I wonder, however, what features of
> Ruby would the experts consider as being the most important ones? Why
> does Ruby gain more and more attention nowadays? Is it due to its
> ability to combine OO, functional and scripting ideas? Or due to rapid
> development of database-backed web applications with Ruby on Rails?

http://reddit.com/search?q=ruby

somewhere in there are articles by Bruce Eckel,Bruce Tate, Ian Bicking,
Martin Fowle, Sam Ruby etc about ruby vs java vs python vs lisp vs
whatever
329df580fd6f0ad5fd39920dd214397e?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Thank you for the link!
On 4/1/06, A.Serebrenik@tue.nl <A.Serebrenik@tue.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,

You will get probaly 2**n different opinions, n being the number of