Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: iBook or MacBook Pro?

429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 07:36
Well, the worm has turned and I think I may actually get an Apple ;P.
But I can't decide which one. Pros and cons:

14" iBook:
+ modem (for when broadband kicks out, or on the road and there's no
WIFI)
+ screen is probably big enough (though I currently have a 15" Dell)
+ doesn't get as hot as the MacBook
+ almost half the cost
+ less likely to get stolen
- 1/4 to 1/5 as fast (in theory)
- no isight (not a big deal)
- older model - not as in the future ;)

15.x" MacBook Pro
+ Over 4-5x faster (though I've read reviews that say Apple's claim is
exaggerated)
+ remote
+ isight
+ screen has more resolution
- gets hot
- kinda wide for a laptop
- lacks s-video (but adapter is available)
- no modem (but usb modem is available)
- superdrive is only 4x (rather than 8x)
- almost twice as expensive
- Apple's latest and greatest
- software that isn't Universal or just doesn't work on the new Intel
platform
- Firewire 400 instead of 800
- Applecare is $100 more
- more likely to get stolen

Despite my listing more negatives for the MacBook Pro, I'm still on the
fence - price is probably the single biggest factor, followed by the
"bells and whistles" factor.

These are reviews I've read:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_MacBook_Pro_1_83GHz_...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/02/technology/circu...

Also, would you buy from Apple's online store (any tax savings?), one of
their physical stores, buy refurbished, or buy used from a third party
(I heard Applecare transfers to new owners)?

Thanks for any opinions!

Joe
Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Michaux (Guest)
What about a used iBook until the second round of Mac's intel laptops
and Adobe CS is available for the intel machines? I have an iBook and
am going to wait to switch.
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 07:47
Peter Michaux wrote:
> What about a used iBook until the second round of Mac's intel laptops
> and Adobe CS is available for the intel machines? I have an iBook and
> am going to wait to switch.

Any idea what the second round Intel laptops will be like? And when?

Also, where's a good place to get a used iBook: eBay, classifieds,
Craigslist, ...?

Joe
57e939ff00f9df2670a09f417c08da5e?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Knowles (Guest)
You can currently get great deals on refurbished Power Books on Apples
site
if price is an issue and you want something a little more then an iBook.

Josh
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 08:16
Yeah, I thought about that. But a (currently not listed) refurbished
MacBook Pro is only $150 more than a mid-range refurbished PowerBook.
Probably worth spending the extra $150 in that case ;).

Joe
21acbd5afebd51cf613d3d11bc1f89a6?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Lindsay (Guest)
I have a 12" Powerbook 1.33ghz and my business partner has the new
MacBook. The difference between the two is night and day. I have been
looking to sell my 12" just to upgrade. It's worth the extra, IMHO.
Stuff like Photoshop is deathly slow, but anything that has been
optimized, is unbelievably quick.

--
Adam Lindsay
adam.lindsay@gmail.com

> Well, the worm has turned and I think I may actually get an Apple ;P.
> But I can't decide which one. Pros and cons:

> 14" iBook:

You have noticed that the 14" and 12" iBook shave the same display
resolution, I hope? You don't get more pixels with the 14" one, just a
physically larger machine.

Is there any solid information on the MacBook's battery life yet, by
the way? One of the things I *really* like about my iBook is that I
can get 6.5 hours of battery use out of it.
--
		     Calle Dybedahl <calle@cyberpomo.com>
		 http://www.livejournal.com/users/cdybedahl/

The reviews I've seen show MBP battery life at about 3.25 hours.

Joe
9a46755c817121b0571a563e5ab02090?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Buckley (brian)
OT: Do you guys do all your Rails development right on your
iBooks/PowerBooks/MacBooks or do you have desktop Macs too?  Which do
you
use more?

Brian
6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-04-01 16:00
> iBook:
> MacBook Pro:
> Despite my listing more negatives for the MacBook Pro, I'm still on the
> fence - price is probably the single biggest factor

check out the barebones versions of MSI's s262/271. CoreDuo/Turion-X2
respectively, highest macbook model performance for lowest ibook price
(hows this? no apple markup - you buy all your parts from newegg). plus
metal instead of plastic case, an incredibly useful row of
pageup/down/home/end keys along the right edge, 2 mouse buttons.. i was
a Apple user since my grandparents purchased a IIgs for me and my
brother in the late 80s but theyve all been phased out in favor of
gentoo-amd64 systems MSI (portable) and Shuttle (desktop).. getting
everything for half the price of Apple and being able to configure
everything the way I want, not the way some dictator in Cupertino
decides is a welcome change...cheers
On 4/1/06, Brian Buckley <briankbuckley@gmail.com> wrote:
> OT: Do you guys do all your Rails development right on your
> iBooks/PowerBooks/MacBooks or do you have desktop Macs too?

I only have an iBook.
A2b2f4ee23989dc68529baef9cbddcd6?d=identicon&s=25 Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov (Guest)
On 1-apr-2006, at 14:06, Brian Buckley wrote:

> OT: Do you guys do all your Rails development right on your iBooks/
> PowerBooks/MacBooks or do you have desktop Macs too?  Which do you
> use more?

I had an old Titanium but now moved most of the work onto a G5 Quad.
I think I will be using the desktop more although a laptop would
suffice if I didn't have to do more than Rails development
829d692dfbd5764f0543fe18be9b964a?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Fuller (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 18:26
Brian Buckley wrote:
> OT: Do you guys do all your Rails development right on your
> iBooks/PowerBooks/MacBooks or do you have desktop Macs too?  Which do
> you
> use more?
>
> Brian

FWIW, I do all my development (including Rails) on a 12" Powerbook right
now. The low screen resolution (1024 x 768) isn't that big a deal. I
just swap between the terminal, Textmate, and a web browser using
Exposé. Works pretty well.
0004e098c1882b1245ab74822fb7b725?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Zajkowski (Guest)
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Calle Dybedahl wrote:

> Is there any solid information on the MacBook's battery life yet, by
> the way? One of the things I *really* like about my iBook is that I
> can get 6.5 hours of battery use out of it.

My MBP, now about a month old, gets slightly better battery life than my
older 15" PowerBook -- about 3 - 3.5 hours -- and that's without turning
down the brightness all the way, etc.  The batteries are really thin,
making carrying a second one easy.

The real test will be at WWDC, where everyone tries to keep their
notebooks alive for 9 hours a day, all week long.

--Jim
21acbd5afebd51cf613d3d11bc1f89a6?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Lindsay (Guest)
I do the exact same, except I use "Desktop Manager" to get 3 virtual
screens.
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Joe wrote:

> Yeah, I was just looking at screen resolutions. 1024x768 seems small to
> me. On my Dell 15" I have it maxed out at 1600x1200. Neither the MBP
> (1440 x 900) nor the PB (1280x854) can match that.

Honestly, having used PC notebooks with such ludicrous resolutions, I
don't see the appeal of needing to squint to read anything.  I jokingly
considered adding a frensel lens on a stick in front of the screen, a la
Brazil.

Most people I've seen with these notebooks invariably end up using
larger
font sizes in their editors, or for the system, or docking the notebook
all the time with a more regular sized screen.

--Jim
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> I do the exact same, except I use "Desktop Manager" to get 3 virtual screens.

Check out "Virtue," now back in development under a new maintainer.
Universal, even!

   http://virtuedesktops.sourceforge.net

--Jim
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 19:10
carmen  wrote:

> check out the barebones versions of MSI's s262/271. CoreDuo/Turion-X2
> respectively, highest macbook model performance for lowest ibook price
> (hows this? no apple markup - you buy all your parts from newegg). plus
> metal instead of plastic case, an incredibly useful row of
> pageup/down/home/end keys along the right edge, 2 mouse buttons.. i was
> a Apple user since my grandparents purchased a IIgs for me and my
> brother in the late 80s but theyve all been phased out in favor of
> gentoo-amd64 systems MSI (portable) and Shuttle (desktop).. getting
> everything for half the price of Apple and being able to configure
> everything the way I want, not the way some dictator in Cupertino
> decides is a welcome change...cheers

12" screens? No thanks. Desktop Linux? No thanks again.

Joe
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-01 19:13
Jim Zajkowski wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Joe wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I was just looking at screen resolutions. 1024x768 seems small to
>> me. On my Dell 15" I have it maxed out at 1600x1200. Neither the MBP
>> (1440 x 900) nor the PB (1280x854) can match that.
>
> Honestly, having used PC notebooks with such ludicrous resolutions, I
> don't see the appeal of needing to squint to read anything.  I jokingly
> considered adding a frensel lens on a stick in front of the screen, a la
> Brazil.
>
> Most people I've seen with these notebooks invariably end up using
> larger
> font sizes in their editors, or for the system, or docking the notebook
> all the time with a more regular sized screen.

I don't squint nor use larger fonts (what's wrong with changing font
sizes anyhow?). 1600x1200 is hardly "ludicrous" - you can fit lots more
stuff on screen. My 20" monitor is set to an even higher resolution -
love it.

Joe