Forum: Ruby on Rails validation with in_place_edit_for

66d1d0df01e4bbb82674a353ea68d6ee?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Kieschnick (jjkiesch)
on 2006-04-01 00:10
i've got an in place edit text box for some of my fields. my model has
validates_presence_of for the field but nothing happens. it works fine
in the scaffold when using the edit page, but nowhere else.

anyone have a solution to this?
9a46755c817121b0571a563e5ab02090?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Buckley (brian)
There was no reply to this question but it must be a common requirement.
Is
there a good solution?

How would one get a  validates_*** from the model to apply when using
in_place_edit_for?

-- Brian
2de6da7e2acab1aa80c3cc8942f444e2?d=identicon&s=25 Timothy Johnson (Guest)
The In_place_editor still uses the callbacks like before_update, so
maybe your could force your validation requirements to fire that way.

--
Timothy Johnson
41c16e2bd2dd7efcbb7981e433471fda?d=identicon&s=25 Herryanto Siatono (jugend)

http://www.pluitsolutions.com/2007/03/20/custom-in...

Herryanto Siatono
C4fee92c07e4fee216aeab5be40e6cc9?d=identicon&s=25 Naga harish Kanegolla (nagaharish)
 I followed the above link and try using that link, but i am not getting
any alert box, and still its taking the blank one in to the database, SO
wat should i do for this???
41c16e2bd2dd7efcbb7981e433471fda?d=identicon&s=25 Herryanto Siatono (jugend)
on 2007-03-21 07:40
Naga harish Kanegolla wrote:
> Hi,
>  I followed the above link and try using that link, but i am not getting
> any alert box, and still its taking the blank one in to the database, SO
> wat should i do for this???

Hey naga, I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart your mongrel
server. Did you do that?
C4fee92c07e4fee216aeab5be40e6cc9?d=identicon&s=25 Naga harish Kanegolla (nagaharish)
I restarted the server, but till i am not getting, later i added the
validates_presence_of :name  then it worked for me, I got the alert box
saying that it shouldn't be blank, so its working, but wen i try to edit
by not giving blank with another value, then also  its giving an alert
box that it shouldn't be blank, and am even not able to add a new one,
so wat should i do for this??
41c16e2bd2dd7efcbb7981e433471fda?d=identicon&s=25 Herryanto Siatono (jugend)
on 2007-03-22 02:22
Naga harish Kanegolla wrote:
> Hi,
> I restarted the server, but till i am not getting, later i added the
> validates_presence_of :name  then it worked for me, I got the alert box
> saying that it shouldn't be blank, so its working, but wen i try to edit
> by not giving blank with another value, then also  its giving an alert
> box that it shouldn't be blank, and am even not able to add a new one,
> so wat should i do for this??

Naga, I'm not sure what went wrong though, it's a bit hard to know
without looking at the codes. Use firebug, check out the Ajax request
generated, put a print statement in your codes, look at the log files,
you probably would be able to see something helpful.
C4fee92c07e4fee216aeab5be40e6cc9?d=identicon&s=25 Naga harish Kanegolla (nagaharish)
  Thanks a lot, its working fine , i am sorry that i have given the
wrong column name for validates_presence_of  in the model,its good, and
every body liked that,
and i would ask u one more thing, is there any alert box custom code for
validating the Ajax form, like if i click a link an ajax form appears
and if i give a blank and submit its not taking the value in the
database but i should get an alert saying that it is blank,

Thanks in  Advance,
Harish
Df1e8f0fac2e3dc450c84d0e9bb23d28?d=identicon&s=25 laurynas.butkus@gmail.com (Guest)
Looks like a nice piece of code ;) I'm rails newbie and have some
problems integrating it. I've created custom_in_place_editing.rb in my
lib/ and added include to my environment.rb, but I'm still getting
'uninitialized constant' error if I add
'in_place_edit_with_validation_for' to my controller. I did server
restart. Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Laurynas

On Mar 20, 8:05 am, Herryanto Siatono <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
41c16e2bd2dd7efcbb7981e433471fda?d=identicon&s=25 Herryanto Siatono (jugend)
on 2007-04-01 08:07
Laurynas,

Please add append the following lines to custom_in_place_editing.rb, I
updated the code snippet yesterday to fix caching issue on Rails 1.2,
which causes the entry to be blank, after the error message alert. But I
forgot to copy a few lines below.

ActionController::Base.class_eval do
  include ActionController::Macros::CustomInPlaceEditing
end

Harris, I'm not sure what you meant though, sorry.
Df1e8f0fac2e3dc450c84d0e9bb23d28?d=identicon&s=25 laurynas.butkus@gmail.com (Guest)
Herryanto,

thanks a lot for a quick reply! Now it works fine.

Laurynas

On 1 Apr, 09:07, Herryanto Siatono <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Df1e8f0fac2e3dc450c84d0e9bb23d28?d=identicon&s=25 laurynas.butkus@gmail.com (Guest)
Maybe I replied too quickly :) Now I noticed, that I'm getting
"undefined method 'query_cache'" exception if validation fails. If I
comment out
"object.to_s.camelize.constantize.query_cache.clear_query_cache", I
get correct validator error message, but then blank value is shown.
That's on Rails 1.2.3.

Laurynas

On 1 Apr, 09:07, Herryanto Siatono <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
41c16e2bd2dd7efcbb7981e433471fda?d=identicon&s=25 Herryanto Siatono (jugend)
on 2007-04-01 18:13
Laurynas,

I forgot that I'm using RailsOnEdge. You are right, there's no
query_cache in rails 1.2.3. I've applied the patch to handle that.

Please re-copied the source codes from the same place:
http://www.pluitsolutions.com/2007/03/20/custom-in...

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for reporting that.
Df1e8f0fac2e3dc450c84d0e9bb23d28?d=identicon&s=25 laurynas.butkus@gmail.com (Guest)
Herryanto,

after first test everything looks ok. Thanks again!

Laurynas

On Apr 1, 7:13 pm, Herryanto Siatono <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-