Forum: Ruby on Rails Problems upgrading to Rails 1.1

Ec75972f84b49972162ec5414930b94c?d=identicon&s=25 jakehowlett (Guest)
Hi All,

I just tried to upgrade to Rails 1.1 on my Linux server and had the
following
issue when running the second part of the upgrade.

[root@localhost ~]# rake rails:update
rake aborted!
No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
Rakefile.rb)
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:1635:in
`load_rakefile'

Not sure what this all means. Can anybody help please? Thanks in advance

Jake Howlett
B26c571d17b3022ab1a98c1a223c32e6?d=identicon&s=25 David Thomson (Guest)
It looks like you're not running this from with an actual Rails
project directory, so Rake can't find the Rakefile it needs. You need
to run it for each project that you have.

Hope that helps.

David
David Thomson <ceedwlt@...> writes:

> It looks like you're not running this from with an actual Rails
> project directory, so Rake can't find the Rakefile it needs. You need
> to run it for each project that you have.

Hi David,

I tried that but I got this error instead when rake aborted:

"Don't know how to build task 'rails:update'"

Any ideas? Appreciate the help.

Jake
On 30/03/06, jakehowlett <jakehowlett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I tried that but I got this error instead when rake aborted:
>
> "Don't know how to build task 'rails:update'"
>
> Any ideas? Appreciate the help.

Do you still have any old versions of Rails installed? If you have, I
suggest you uninstall those (gem uninstall) and try again. If that
doesn't work, I'm stumped :-)

David
Ec75972f84b49972162ec5414930b94c?d=identicon&s=25 jakehowlett (Guest)
David Thomson <ceedwlt@...> writes:

> Do you still have any old versions of Rails installed? If you have, I
> suggest you uninstall those (gem uninstall) and try again. If that
> doesn't work, I'm stumped
>
> David

Only one version installed AFAIK David.

As I noted in a separate reply since this one, the error is only when
running
the command from inside a Typo install. Other projects are fine.

I've seen there are some issues with Typo and Rails 1.1. I'll keep an
eye out
for an update and leave that directory alone for a while.

Thanks for your help,
Jake
8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 sean lynch (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 16:15
first update rails via gem:

> gem update rails --include-dependencies

or uninstall and reinstall via gem if you have issues:

> gem uninstall rails
> gem install rails --include-dependencies

Then you can back up your current projects and upgrade them with rake
from their own directories.

I could take a test snapshot from svn and upgrade it in its own
directory tree so you could run your test suite before upgrading any
production code.

-Sean
David Thomson wrote:
> It looks like you're not running this from with an actual Rails
> project directory, so Rake can't find the Rakefile it needs. You need
> to run it for each project that you have.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> David
8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 sean lynch (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 16:16
Sorry,

"I could take a test "

should be

"I would take a test "
B26c571d17b3022ab1a98c1a223c32e6?d=identicon&s=25 David Thomson (Guest)
> Only one version installed AFAIK David.
>
> As I noted in a separate reply since this one, the error is only when running
> the command from inside a Typo install. Other projects are fine.
>
> I've seen there are some issues with Typo and Rails 1.1. I'll keep an eye out
> for an update and leave that directory alone for a while.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jake

Ah, if it's Typo, might be best to wait for that one :-)

David
B2ee3ee5087b7aa7202a98da372cae00?d=identicon&s=25 Yaroslav Markin (Guest)
I'm sorry, why not just use gem update?
7314bc2492b30b8e18db955b1a790d46?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnson (Guest)
on 2006-03-31 06:25
Hi Jake and everyone,

I'm having the same problem. I tried uninstalling (all versions of)
Rails and starting over, and that didn't solve the problem.
I would be very grateful if someone could point us in the
right direction on this!

Chris Johnson

jakehowlett wrote:
> David Thomson <ceedwlt@...> writes:
>
>> It looks like you're not running this from with an actual Rails
>> project directory, so Rake can't find the Rakefile it needs. You need
>> to run it for each project that you have.
>

> Hi David,
>
> I tried that but I got this error instead when rake aborted:
>
> "Don't know how to build task 'rails:update'"
>
> Any ideas? Appreciate the help.
>
> Jake
0c85019f13c3e3e3b8cdde8dcebd0286?d=identicon&s=25 David Ladiges (Guest)
on 2006-03-31 10:25
After spending quite a bit of time with the same problems, I finally got
this working for me. By this point, I have already upgraded to Ruby
1.8.4, and rails 1.1.0 and reinstalled RadRails 6.1 and configured
RadRails to use the correct ruby, rdoc, and ri.

I would recommend backing up your project first or at least committing
anything recently changed to your source control before duplicating
this.

I made a fresh rails project and copied from the new project to my
actual working project the public/javascipts/ directory and files, the
/script directory, and then config/environments/ directory and
config/environment.rb and routes.rb  and test/test_helper.rb files. If
you had updated any of these previously, now is where you go back to the
backup copy and see what it will take to reimplement those changes.

After all this, I was able to get webrick and my rails app launched at
least.

Probably a bit more copying than necessary, but I haven't gone back and
figured out exactly what needs upgraded.

David