Forum: Ruby on Rails Upgrading to 1.1 causes MySQL Lost Connections under WinXP

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
318c5b8c776d147b65288b0899eea815?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 07:40
Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
getting the dreaded "Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM ..."  I've read all the stuff on the net,
but none of it is working.  I tried installing the mysql.so like
suggested here:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToUseMy...

That sort of worked.  I was able to get rails working a little bit, but
it eventually crashed with this:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I could open a couple of pages, but eventually it bombed out in the
middle of a request.  I'm running Ruby 1.8.2, Rail 1.1, and MySQL 5.0.18
on WinXP machine.  Actually I've tried it on two different machines I
still get the same problem.  Prior to upgrading I was using Rails 0.14
and it worked great.  It was only after I upgraded to 1.1 did this MySQL
problem start.

I also should mention I tried reseting the passwords so they don't use
the old_password hash algorithm.  I had read somwhere that the old style
passwords could cause this problem too.  But, that doesn't seem to be
the issue.

Thanks
Charlie
3dd4b52a0946bd698b1d1635a46ea3a3?d=identicon&s=25 François Beausoleil (fbeausoleil)
on 2006-03-30 09:05
(Received via mailing list)
2006/3/30, Charlie <charlie.hubbard@gmail.com>:
> Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
> getting the dreaded "Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
> during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM ..."  I've read all the stuff on the net,
> but none of it is working.  I tried installing the mysql.so like
> suggested here:

Same issue here.  1.8.2, Rails Edge, haven't touched the mysql.so at
all, and MySQL 4.0.12-nt.  I *think* this is related to the
allow_concurrency changes in 1.1.

Sorry I can't provide you with more information.  If you run Rails
from svn:externals, you could try going back in time to see if
pre-allow_concurrency would change things for you.

If you don't know how to set your svn:externals, try rake
rails:freeze:edge REVISION=?

You'll have to find the appropriate revision using the Timeline:
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/timeline

If you get any results, please post back here.

Hope that helps !
318c5b8c776d147b65288b0899eea815?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 16:06
François Beausoleil wrote:
> 2006/3/30, Charlie <charlie.hubbard@gmail.com>:
>> Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
>> getting the dreaded "Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
>> during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM ..."  I've read all the stuff on the net,
>> but none of it is working.  I tried installing the mysql.so like
>> suggested here:
>
> Same issue here.  1.8.2, Rails Edge, haven't touched the mysql.so at
> all, and MySQL 4.0.12-nt.  I *think* this is related to the
> allow_concurrency changes in 1.1.
>
> Sorry I can't provide you with more information.  If you run Rails
> from svn:externals, you could try going back in time to see if
> pre-allow_concurrency would change things for you.

I'm pretty green with Rails so this is starting to get over my head, but
I tried looking at the timeline.  I did a search and nothing came up for
"pre-allow_concurrency" so I'm stuck.  I didn't see it in there.  I
guess I'll give it the weekend and see if anyone else can make some
headway on this.

Charlie
77ec40c374b48e0048256aa9325ac35d?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Guzman (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 17:27
(Received via mailing list)
Charlie,
  Give ruby 1.8.4 a shot, I'm running a similar configuration on a
windows box and the only difference seems to be ruby versions.
   --mark

Charlie wrote:
> François Beausoleil wrote:
>
>> 2006/3/30, Charlie <charlie.hubbard@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
>>> getting the dreaded "Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
>>> during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM ..."  I've read all the stuff on the net,
>>> but none of it is working.  I tried installing the mysql.so like
>>> suggested here:
>>>

--
sic transit gloria et adulescentia
blog | http://blog.hasno.info/blog
wiki | http://wiki.hasno.info
49c4935f50f26608ba704f29da8e93b4?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Percival (joep)
on 2006-03-30 17:44
Charlie wrote:
>
> Ok so I updated my rails to version 1.1 and now all of a sudden I keep
> getting the dreaded "Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server
> during query: SHOW FIELDS FROM ..."  I've read all the stuff on the net,
> but none of it is working.  I tried installing the mysql.so like
> suggested here:
>
>

I had a similar problem... fixed it by going in and editing my
database.yml file under the config directory.  I relpaced all potential
tab characters (erring on the side of caution) with spaces and made sure
there was at least one space after each colon (like host: localhost
rather than host:localhost).  Everything went fine after that.

good luck.
joe
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.