Forum: Ruby on Rails need an Ruby on Rails IDE

6887d0a161c7c180c100f705e45d9e90?d=identicon&s=25 Hoang Nguyen (hoangvista)
on 2006-03-30 06:40
Hello everybody,
I'm a new member on Ruby on Rails.
I'm friendly on using Microsoft Visual Studio (VS) IDE.
The VS IDE supports for Intellisense coding (that mean it will
automatically display a list of member variables or functions for a
class, struct, union, or namespace; the names and types of parameters
required by a function or attribute; and the complete declaration for
any identifier in your code. Developers simply select an item from the
list to quickly insert it into the code...)

For now, i'm moving on Ruby. I would like all you to help me on
suggested for me what is the IDE tool I should use to develope Ruby on
Rail that is similar with VS IDE or any Ruby IDE that supports for full
features: easy coding helper (intellisense), debug, deployment, ....
Thanks for your helping.
Please mail to me at: hoangvista@gmail.com
Regards
hoangvista
F9baac8d679b8728c0b8023e34c61666?d=identicon&s=25 Eleo (Guest)
on 2006-03-30 06:42
Most people use RadRails.  However, having used Visual Studio products,
I must say RadRails pales in comparison.  Refactoring?  No.
Intellisense, nope.
722a18819725c0f6275b556ced89a3f4?d=identicon&s=25 Sascha Ebach (Guest)
Eleo wrote:
> Most people use RadRails.  However, having used Visual Studio products,
> I must say RadRails pales in comparison.  Refactoring?  No.
> Intellisense, nope.

If you search the archives you will find that this subject has already
been
discussed to death. I guess that is true for any programming language
based
mailinglist that exists for at least 3 weeks.

There is a reason that Intellisense is not a strong point for Ruby IDEs.
Go
and look it up.

The thing that comes closest to an IDE is the Arachno editor.

http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/ruby_ide_and_ruby_editor.php

-Sascha Ebach
B2ee3ee5087b7aa7202a98da372cae00?d=identicon&s=25 Yaroslav Markin (Guest)
I think the best solution on Windows is RadRails, www.radrails.org.

Or, you can try to buy a Mac Mini and try the stuff everyone is happy
about.
6887d0a161c7c180c100f705e45d9e90?d=identicon&s=25 Hoang Nguyen (hoangvista)
on 2006-03-31 04:31
Yaroslav Markin wrote:
> I think the best solution on Windows is RadRails, www.radrails.org.
>
> Or, you can try to buy a Mac Mini and try the stuff everyone is happy
> about.

Thanks Yaroslav, Sascha Ebach, and  Eleo,
I have searched on this forum and found that the most people are favor
with RadRails, RTD and Arachno. Arachno is a commercial software, and
I'm looking for a free opensource software, and I think RadRails and RTD
is the best solution for me right now. Would you please give me a brief
relates to the difference between RadRails and RTD (Ruby Developer
Tools). I'm confusing on RadRails and RTD because  they relates also to
the Eclipse. Moreover, would you please give me where to find the
tutorial document on using RadRails or RTD. Thanks in advance
Please feel free mail to me at: hoangvista@gmail.com
Regards
hoangvista
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Hoang Nguyen wrote:
> Please feel free mail to me at: hoangvista@gmail.com
> Regards
> hoangvista

RadRails includes RDT. It used not to, but a few months ago the RadRails
team decided to stop re-inventing things that already existed in RDT,
met up with one of the RDT developers, and planned how to integrate RDT
with RadRails. That resulted in version 0.5.3, two months ago.

Victor Kane has tutorials on installing and using RadRails here:

http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/publish...

regards

   Justin
6887d0a161c7c180c100f705e45d9e90?d=identicon&s=25 Hoang Nguyen (hoangvista)
on 2006-03-31 07:39
Justin Forder wrote:
> Hoang Nguyen wrote:
>> Please feel free mail to me at: hoangvista@gmail.com
>> Regards
>> hoangvista
>>

> RadRails includes RDT. It used not to, but a few months ago the RadRails
> team decided to stop re-inventing things that already existed in RDT,
> met up with one of the RDT developers, and planned how to integrate RDT
> with RadRails. That resulted in version 0.5.3, two months ago.
>
> Victor Kane has tutorials on installing and using RadRails here:
>
> http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/publish...
>
> regards
>
>    Justin

Thanks Justin,
As I known, the current version of RadRails is 0.6.5, does this version
of RadRails integrate RDT? Moreover, the interface of RadRails looks
like Eclipse interface, but the size of this software is smaller than
Eclipse. Would you please let me know if there are any relations between
RadRails and Eclipse? does it was build up in the same architect? And
which one I should choice: using RadRails or Eclipse + RDT?
Please feel free for many my questions.
BestRegards
hoangvista
34f5b045aec62235c17458650ea75353?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Koppelman (hatless)
on 2006-03-31 13:49
The RadRails website explains all this very clearly. You should go
there, read a bit, and download it.

RadRails is a set of extensions to Eclipse. It uses RDT for most core
editing functions and adds all sorts of other Rails-specific stuff. It's
available two ways: as an Eclipse plugin and as a standalone installer
packaged with a slimmed-down version of Eclipse. The standalone version
is a quick and easy way to get RadRails initially, but whenever you want
to upgrade, you'll have to uninstall it and download and install a whole
new version. Not a big deal, but some people think that's silly,
especially if they already have Eclipse for other things.

If you get it as an Eclipse plugin, you'll need to learn how to add the
plugins and automatic updates to Eclipse for both RadRails and maybe
whatever version control plugins you use. It's not hard at all, but it
does require some learning. Once you've got it figured out, Eclipse can
automatically notify you of updates to RadRails and download and install
them quickly and you won't have to download and install a whole new
Eclipse each time like you do with the standalone. When you get it this
way, updates to RadRails take just a minute or two to apply.

Either way RadRails works exactly the same. And it's very good indeed,
especially if you're using it with Subversion or CVS for version
control.

Hoang Nguyen wrote:

> of RadRails integrate RDT? Moreover, the interface of RadRails looks
> like Eclipse interface, but the size of this software is smaller than
> Eclipse. Would you please let me know if there are any relations between
> RadRails and Eclipse? does it was build up in the same architect? And
> which one I should choice: using RadRails or Eclipse + RDT?

Hi - I sent a response to this three and a half hours ago, but it hasn't
got back to me via the list, so here's the content again:

The current RadRails version is 0.6.1, and the standalone version (see
below) does integrate RDT.

   http://www.radrails.org/

The standalone version of RadRails (which is what you get if you click
one of the platform-specific download links on the main RadRails page)
is built on the Eclipse "Rich Client Platform", which is smaller than
the normal Eclipse Platform (Eclipse SDK) used as a basis for IDEs.

   http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Rich_Client_Platform

The developers of RadRails chose this approach to reduce size,
complexity, and startup time. Most users seem to be happy with the
standalone version. I think it was a rather strange choice, as the Rich
Client platform doesn't include the mechanism for installing updates
that is part of the Eclipse platform.

But RadRails is also available as a plugin for the normal Eclipse
Platform. I haven't tried this recently, but I see from looking at
Victor Kane's page on installing RadRails that this is what he uses.
He advises installing RDT before the RadRails plugin - I would have
expected the RadRails plugin to require RDT as a dependency, causing RDT
to install automatically when you choose to install RadRails (but I do
remember that this didn't work once when I tried it in the past).

You are probably aware of Brian Hogan's advice on setting up Eclipse for
Rails development (without RadRails), here:

   http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

The choice is yours! Be aware that you can have multiple installs of
Eclipse on the same machine, with different plugins.

If you just want to get started with Rails as quickly as possible, the
standalone version of RadRails is fine - you can explore other
possibilities in parallel.

regards

   Justin
49c4935f50f26608ba704f29da8e93b4?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Percival (joep)
on 2006-03-31 16:30
Justin Forder wrote:

> The choice is yours! Be aware that you can have multiple installs of
> Eclipse on the same machine, with different plugins.
>
> If you just want to get started with Rails as quickly as possible, the
> standalone version of RadRails is fine - you can explore other
> possibilities in parallel.

Not sure why you would want multiple installs of eclipse.  You can have
one install with multiple workspaces each associated with your selection
of "perspectives" which is what eclipse calls a particular development
environment.  I find it very convenient to have integrated access to
SVN, Bugzilla, Rails, Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, XML, and Database
management.

Check out these plugins:
web standard tools
subclipse
phpeclipse
Ruby Development Tools
Radrails
</Oxygen> (commercial)
Bugzilla (http://sourceware.org/eclipse/bugzilla/)

And there's more on the way...
OpenLaszlo... http://www.openlaszlo.org/download/eclipse/
Ajax Toolkit... http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/atf/

joe
5b132632f47e8c7e2a83157cef4649c8?d=identicon&s=25 Agnieszka Figiel (agnessa)
on 2006-03-31 22:11
Joe Percival wrote:
> Justin Forder wrote:
>
>> The choice is yours! Be aware that you can have multiple installs of
>> Eclipse on the same machine, with different plugins.
>>
>> If you just want to get started with Rails as quickly as possible, the
>> standalone version of RadRails is fine - you can explore other
>> possibilities in parallel.
>
> Not sure why you would want multiple installs of eclipse.  You can have
> one install with multiple workspaces each associated with your selection
> of "perspectives" which is what eclipse calls a particular development
> environment.  I find it very convenient to have integrated access to
> SVN, Bugzilla, Rails, Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, XML, and Database
> management.

Hi,
some plugins don't go well with some eclipse versions so I imagine one
reason for having two installs would be to have the latest eclipse and
an eclipse to use with plugins that won't work with the latest.

--
Agnieszka
Agnieszka Figiel wrote:
>> one install with multiple workspaces each associated with your selection
>> of "perspectives" which is what eclipse calls a particular development
>> environment.  I find it very convenient to have integrated access to
>> SVN, Bugzilla, Rails, Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, XML, and Database
>> management.
>
> Hi,
> some plugins don't go well with some eclipse versions so I imagine one
> reason for having two installs would be to have the latest eclipse and
> an eclipse to use with plugins that won't work with the latest.

Thanks, Agnieszka - that's a good point.

I mentioned the possibility of having more than one install:

a) in case the original poster wanted a copy of Eclipse to play around
with plugin configuration on,

b) in case he wanted to have a separate copy specifically configured for
Rails.

regards

   Justin
6887d0a161c7c180c100f705e45d9e90?d=identicon&s=25 Hoang Nguyen (hoangvista)
on 2006-04-01 05:54
I think at first to approach to Rails, the standalone version of
RadRails is fine for me, and I can explore other possibilities in
parallel as Justin suggested.
All other suggested are very useful for me at the first time to enter
Ruby and Rails field. I would like to receive all your kind help in
later.
Thank you indeed again.
Regards

--
Hoang Nguyen wrote:

> of RadRails integrate RDT?
The current version is 0.6.1, and the standalone version (see below)
does integrate RDT.

   http://www.radrails.org/