I'm on OS X Tiger, and just upgraded my gems. I also ran 'rake rails:update'. After that, I ran "rake freeze_gems", I recieve the following: ===================== Freezing to the gems for Rails 1.1.0 rm -rf vendor/rails mkdir -p vendor/rails cd vendor/rails Unpacked gem: 'activesupport-1.3.0' mv activesupport-1.3.0 activesupport Unpacked gem: 'activerecord-1.14.0' mv activerecord-1.14.0 activerecord Unpacked gem: 'actionpack-1.12.0' mv actionpack-1.12.0 actionpack Unpacked gem: 'actionmailer-1.2.0' mv actionmailer-1.2.0 actionmailer Unpacked gem: 'actionwebservice-1.1.0' mv actionwebservice-1.1.0 actionwebservice ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError) Illformed requirement [=#<Gem::Specification name=rails version=1.1.0>] rake aborted! exit ====================== Is this a bug, or am I missing something...?
on 2006-03-28 19:21
on 2006-03-28 21:08
I thought it was just me. FWIW I ran rake again (OS X 10.4.5) with the trace option set and got the following: /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/user_interaction.rb:162:in `exit' /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/user_interaction.rb:162:in `terminate_interaction' (eval):3:in `terminate_interaction' /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:71:in `run' /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:13:in `run' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.0/lib/tasks/framework.rake:30 /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:121:in `chdir' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:657:in `chdir' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.0/lib/tasks/framework.rake:24 /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:232:in `execute' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:232:in `execute' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:202:in `invoke' /opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:135:in `synchronize' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:195:in `invoke' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:1719:in `run' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/lib/rake.rb:1719:in `run' /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.0/bin/rake:7 /opt/local/bin/rake:18 Eventually I gave up and ran "rake rails:freeze:edge REVISION=4091" which to my knowledge is effectively the same thing.
on 2006-03-28 21:28
Thanks for the pointer, Ashley. I'll give that a try to get by for the time being. Can anyone else out there get "rake freeze_gems" to work at all on any platform for Rails 1.1?
on 2006-04-02 22:17
Check out http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/4458 This fixed it for me. Michael Gorsuch wrote: > Thanks for the pointer, Ashley. I'll give that a try to get by for > the time being. > > Can anyone else out there get "rake freeze_gems" to work at all on any > platform for Rails 1.1?
on 2006-04-02 22:54
Hi, I created a new migration with "script/generate migration", but when I try to run it with "rake migrate" it looks like the old migration runs again (which generates an error since it tries to create a table that's there). How does Rails figure out which migration to run? Can I explicitly run a specific migration to work around the problem? What might have caused it in the first place? This happened after I upgraded to Rails 1.1 so I am wondering whether this could have something to do with it. Thanks for any help! Ingo W.
on 2006-04-02 23:40
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 22:51 +0200, Ingo Weiss wrote: > Hi, > > I created a new migration with "script/generate migration", but when I > try to run it with "rake migrate" it looks like the old migration runs > again (which generates an error since it tries to create a table that's > there). > > How does Rails figure out which migration to run? ---- The 'version' column of the 'schema_info' table in your appropriate db ---- > Can I explicitly run a > specific migration to work around the problem? ---- I suppose if you manually change the 'version' of the 'schema info' - never tried it myself ---- > What might have caused it > in the first place? ---- - never successfully migrated that db - restored db from a dump that didn't have 'schema_info' table - deleted schema_info table probably others ---- > This happened after I upgraded to Rails 1.1 so I am wondering whether > this could have something to do with it. ---- perhaps, perhaps not. did you do 'rake rails:update' to your rails app after you upgraded rails? Craig
on 2006-04-02 23:49
You can do "rake migrate VERSION=4"... but that doesn't necessarily fix the problem, because if it thinks its currently on a different version to what it is, it still won't work. The problem could have been caused by an error in your migration code. When you run it and it's interrupted midway through, it'll stop between versions, so even if you subsequently fix the code, it'll still cause an error. In my experience, Rails 1.1 is better at detecting errors in the migration code before it actually runs it, but it's still not perfect. If your code is stuck between versions, there are two ways you can fix it: 1. Delete everything and then run rake migrate again. This is fine if you're in development and don't have lots of data in the tables (other than data created by migration), but if you do have data, this can be a problem. 2. Find out what version the code is breaking at (rake migrate --trace) then manually do what you need to in the database to complete the migrate or roll back to the previous version. Hope this helps. -Nathan
on 2006-04-04 00:44
You don't give a copy of the error, but I'll throw you a hint: 0XX_create_foo.rb and 0YY_create_foo.rb both define a class CreateFoo. Migrations go strange when this happens. Rename the newer one and change the defined class name to match. (If that's your problem, of course ;-) -Rob Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com +1 513-295-4739