Forum: Ruby Seeking win32ole CDO/Mapi help

7e6ee7bc26cac7c3f1edce27558ced3d?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Sader (Guest)
I'm trying to read a remote mail store using the CDO OLE interface
using the ProfileInfo interface as described here:
http://www.vbip.com/books/1861002068/chapter_2068_04.asp, but I've run
into the wall of my own ignorance.

Here's what I have so far:

# Ruby code
require 'win32ole'

mapiSession = WIN32OLE::new('MAPI.Session')

#load MAPI constants
class MapiConst
end
WIN32OLE.const_load(mapiSession, MapiConst)

exchangeServer = 'myServer
mailbox = 'mail@foo.com'
logonParam = "ProfileInfo:="+ exchangeServer + "\r" + mailbox
mapiSession.Logon(logonParam)
# the rest of the code...

However the Logon method throws the following set of exceptions.

First I get a pop-up dialog stating that the Profile Name contains
invalid characters.

From the above link: "The ProfileInfo is a string that consists of
three parts. The first is the name of the Exchange Server. The second
is always a linefeed character."

I think part of my problem is I'm not getting the correct character in
as the linefeed.  Can someone validate that?  Maybe I'm missing and
easy Ruby trick to add a linefeed to a string?

The other exception is as follows:

Logon
    OLE error code:1087 in Collaboration Data Objects
       [Collaboration Data Objects - [E_INVALIDARG(80070057)]]
    HRESULT error code:0x80020009
      Exception occurred.
C:/devenv/Client
Application/RubyReplacement/ExampleOutlookScript.rb:13:in
`method_missing'
C:/devenv/Client Application/RubyReplacement/ExampleOutlookScript.rb:13
C:/devenv/Client
Application/RubyReplacement/ExampleOutlookScript.rb:13:in
`method_missing': Logon (WIN32OLERuntimeError)
    OLE error code:1087 in Collaboration Data Objects
       [Collaboration Data Objects - [E_INVALIDARG(80070057)]]
    HRESULT error code:0x80020009
      Exception occurred.

Which I think is the result of the first error.

thanks,
A777f1a2049d78a12ead38efb8f75f97?d=identicon&s=25 Tanner Burson (Guest)
On 3/28/06, Keith Sader <ksader@gmail.com> wrote:

> mapiSession.Logon(logonParam)
>
> I think part of my problem is I'm not getting the correct character in
> as the linefeed.  Can someone validate that?  Maybe I'm missing and
> easy Ruby trick to add a linefeed to a string?

I believe linefeed is \n and \r is carriage return.
7e6ee7bc26cac7c3f1edce27558ced3d?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Sader (Guest)
While I was explaining it to a co-worker, I stumbled upon a weird
feature of the VB OLE call.  The VB OLE call can do a weird
short-circuit and not need the other parameters.

If I change the call to Logon to mapiSession.Logon(nil, nil, nil, nil,
nil, nil, logonParam), it doesn't give me the first set of dialogs
complaining about the invalid charaters, but I still get the 1087
error.  Maybe some of the other fields need to not be nil?

thanks,
7e6ee7bc26cac7c3f1edce27558ced3d?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Sader (Guest)
Sorry for the double posts, I don't know why gmail is doing that...
7e6ee7bc26cac7c3f1edce27558ced3d?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Sader (ksader)
My sincere apologies for being so dense.  Yes that was it using

logonParam = "ProfileInfo:="+ exchangeServer + "\n" + mailbox

instead of \r made everything all better.

Now I must go bang my head into the wall some more :-)

thanks,