Forum: Ruby on Rails Deploying rails...

Ef31136ad29b9ce06c9f718109a584cc?d=identicon&s=25 Pete (Guest)

I thought I'd give lighttpd and FastCGI a go but the latest version I've
found for fastcgi is 2.4.0 which was released in January 2003. Is this
the right version?

Can anyone recommend the versions I should use for FastCGI et al and
where to find them? I'm not sure I've really found what I'm looking
for...
3203ed0e608d3bfae1e31282e629ffa2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Fitzgibbons (Guest)
On 3/28/06, Pete <miggyx@peteslan.net> wrote:

> --

May I suggest looking into Mongrel?
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/news.html
Works great on Win2003!!
--
Ef31136ad29b9ce06c9f718109a584cc?d=identicon&s=25 Pete (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 17:39

Not too familiar with all this stuff as I've come from a PHP / Java
background and have never needed to play with CGI et al :)
Ef31136ad29b9ce06c9f718109a584cc?d=identicon&s=25 Pete (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 17:44
Also, what is the point of putting say apache in front of lighttpd? If
people wanted to use lighttpd because it handles better than Apache
udner load... then why put Apache in front of lighttpd? :S
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 3/28/06, Pete <miggyx@peteslan.net> wrote:
> Also, what is the point of putting say apache in front of lighttpd? If
> people wanted to use lighttpd because it handles better than Apache
> udner load... then why put Apache in front of lighttpd? :S

Because you might have older apps (PHP maybe) already up and running
on Apache virtual hosts.  Your lighttpd sevrer basically handles one
of those hosts and runs your Rails app.

-- James
08f17ad2e8973e1ff11f89146e02ae6c?d=identicon&s=25 David Demaree (Guest)
Say you're on a shared box and don't have administrator access, which is
required to bind lighttpd to port 80. Apache virtual hosting is usually
bound to port 80 by default, so if you're on (e.g.) TextDrive you *must*
have Apache proxy its requests for http://yourdomain.tld/ over to
http://yourdomain.tld:0000/ (where 0000 is the port number you've set up
for
lighttpd).

Similarly, your server may have some content running under Apache
(again,
bound to port 80 by default) and your lightty server is running in
addition
to other stuff. Your options are to switch to lighttpd for _all_ your
web
serving needs, but depending on your situation that may not be
convenient or
possible. So putting Apache in front makes it easy to use lighttpd for
Rails
and Apache for everything else.

If you're in a situation where you either do not have admin access or
must
use Apache to serve some content on a given domain, then you should put
Apache in front.

If your Rails app is going to be served on its own (sub)domain, or if
you're
in a position to serve EVERYTHING via lightty, and you have
administrator
access, then you can simply bind lighttpd to port 80 and cut out the
middleman.

- DD

On 3/28/06, Pete <miggyx@peteslan.net> wrote:

David Demaree
Owner and Web Chef, Practicalmadness
david@practicalmadness.net
Ef31136ad29b9ce06c9f718109a584cc?d=identicon&s=25 Pete (Guest)
on 2006-03-28 18:10
If the majority of the app is dynamic content i.e there are a few
graphics files etc but only a few, is it worth going with lighty +
mongrel / fcgi or could mongrel be used happily by itself?

In the end ( not neccesarily with this app ) but I would want to scale
as it is described in the "agile development on rails" book. I figured
I'd try and learning how to set it up properly before I urgently needed
it :)