Forum: Ruby Recommended templating system

245cfab887781bdf3f53178b794c42dc?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm new to Ruby, coming from PHP and Perl.
I am looking for a good templating system to use for building
web applications. So far I've found:

 - cs/Template :: http://cstemplate.rubyforge.org/
 - PageTemplate :: http://coolnamehere.com/products/pagetemplate/
 - Canny :: http://canny.sourceforge.net/documentation.shtml
 - Kwartz :: http://www.kuwata-lab.com/kwartz/
 - Amrita :: http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/
 - XTemplate :: http://xtemplate.sourceforge.net/

Thoughts, advices, more templating engines... are all highly
appreciated.

I know each project will have its pros and cons, but I was just
wondering if there is a consensus on which is 'the best'?

Take PHP world for example. All clear: Smarty is the best tool
for the job (well, not if I look at the Kwartz diagram on its
homepage :D, but so far Smarty has suited me, and all the PHP
developers I know, just fine).

Thank you,
and have a good night everyone,

Alex
280b41a88665fd8c699e83a9a25ef949?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Waits (Guest)
Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> I know each project will have its pros and cons, but I was just
> wondering if there is a consensus on which is 'the best'?

I'm not sure you'll get consensus.  Also don't forget erb, which is
included in the Ruby distribution.  There's an enhanced version of it
that was recently released too; however, the name escapes me ATM.

--Steve
Cfdeff3ac35010e4de8f85d954f24f4a?d=identicon&s=25 Damphyr (Guest)
Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/ - XTemplate ::
> http://xtemplate.sourceforge.net/
>
> Thoughts, advices, more templating engines... are all highly
> appreciated.

I had quite a time trying to decide. I went initially with Amrita (which
has a version 1 and a version 2, as separate projects), but had some
trouble deciphering the examples.
Kwartz I only browsedd the code.
I finally ended up using erb, which is simple and flexible enough to
suit most needs.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva
245cfab887781bdf3f53178b794c42dc?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)

Thanks,
Alex