Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem installing Rails IN WINDOWS

D52dc83b637fe5a386ab2ded09c29b00?d=identicon&s=25 Hari Natarajan (more2hari)
on 2006-03-27 22:25
Hi
 I am getting the following error when i tried to install rails in
windows using command prompt....A few suggestions i got were for Linux
environment..
I gave the command in command prompt as
C:\>gem install rails --remote

C:\>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails --remote
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteSourceException)
    Error fetching remote gem cache: getaddrinfo: no address associated
with hostname.

There are proxy settings in my institute and i need to set it up from
the command prompt? pls explain with an example..

Thanks in Advance..
8716cce9a7b721786e5425b8cc1f9951?d=identicon&s=25 sean lynch (Guest)
on 2006-03-27 22:46
use the proxy advice given in the previous thread, but in Windows you
set the environment variables either at the command line or in some
clicky thingy in control panel/system.

google for setting system variables in your version of windows. Its
probably a version specific thing, although the windows command line way
is probably unchanged from NT.

name the variable http_proxy

then set your value for url and port:

for instance if your proxy is on some.crazy_url and uses port 1234 try
this.

http://some.cray_url:1234

look in your browsers connection settings or windows media players
connection settings or some software connection settings to get values
for your proxy.

the setup is pretty much the same for Win/Linux/MacOSX