Forum: Ruby Re: Check for expiry in Shareware applications ?

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hey Manveru,

well thanks for your nice thoughts!
I was thinking about Erik Veenstra's rubyscript2exe programs when I
wrote about non-open source software ...
I like what you wrote about komodo licenses. Maybe one can use
some kind of RSA encryption of the system time or internet time at which
the
software was installed together with the machine name.
Is there a way of determining the name of the machine you run
Ruby on ?

Best regards,

Axel
2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)
> well thanks for your nice thoughts!
> I was thinking about Erik Veenstra's rubyscript2exe programs when I
> wrote about non-open source software ...

AFAIK, rubyscript2exe temporarily decompresses all scripts TO DISK on
execution (so, all sources would be available to user) :(

Victor.
On Mar 26, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Nuralanur@aol.com wrote:

> well thanks for your nice thoughts!
> I was thinking about Erik Veenstra's rubyscript2exe programs when I
> wrote about non-open source software ...

rubyscript2exe is basically a self extracting tarball, you won't
really be able to prevent people from changing the code. To quote
from the perl faq: