Forum: Ruby on Rails Using a Gem in your App without installing to the system

54a6fc785e9fcf73ead8e387432b32f5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Harper (Guest)
Does anyone know how to use a gem without installing it to the rails
installation?  For example, I can download the Money gem package from
http://dist.leetsoft.com/ but if I don't have the ability to install a
gem at my hosting provider, how can I use the gem in my app?

Cheers,
Dan
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
Just put the ruby files ofthe Money gem into the lib folder of your
rails
app.

there exists even a thirdparty rake task for that (but which did not
work
propoperly for me on windows) , just google for the topfunky blog
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Raaum (Guest)
On Saturday, March 25, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Roberto Saccon wrote:
>Just put the ruby files ofthe Money gem into the lib folder of your rails
>app.
>
>there exists even a thirdparty rake task for that (but which did not work
>propoperly for me on windows) , just google for the topfunky blog

I've also written a rake task for this (which should work on win32 as
well).

http://locomotive.raaum.org/home/show/Freeze

(I wrote it for people using my Mac Locomotive application - but it's
not specific to Locomotive or Mac in any way).

-r
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Ryan Raaum wrote:
> http://locomotive.raaum.org/home/show/Freeze
>
> (I wrote it for people using my Mac Locomotive application - but it's
> not specific to Locomotive or Mac in any way).

Thank you!

On DreamHost I found that Dir::tmpdir didn't exist (checked in irb, and
it really didn't), so I made a tmp directory and hard-coded the tmp_dir
to refer to it. Then it worked fine.

   Justin