Forum: Ruby on Rails Prototype, periodically_call_remote & CPU overdrive...

C9043a4e457c953ff465f497b39f345e?d=identicon&s=25 Randy Marmer (rmarmer1)
on 2005-11-19 00:00
Hello,

im playing around with "periodically_call_remote"
(frequency 1 sec) & even when i have it call an
empty "dummy" method it revs my cpu up to almost
100%!!?

i'm running Rails 0.13.1, Ruby 1.8, on a OS X 10.3.9 on a G5 w/
Firefox & i've alternated btw Prototype 1.3.0 &
1.4.0_rc2 with almost identical results.

Using the dummy call (frequency 1 sec) with Prototype
1.4.0_rc2 & checking JS errors at app startup & exit...
at startup i get a series of JS warnings from
prototype.

Then the "periodically_call_remote" call starts firing - without
(apparent)
incident - but the cpu revs way up into the 90's!!

Then when i exit the app i get a whole slew of a particular error;

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)
[nsIXMLHttpRequest.status]"  nsresult: "0x80040111
(NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame ::
http://localhost:3000/javascripts/prototype.js ::
anonymous :: line 678"  data: no]
Source File:
http://localhost:3000/javascripts/prototype.js
Line: 678

& then it can take up to 30 secs for cpu to rev back down after app
exit!!

Has anyone seen this error before or experienced such a problem?

Any callback to the server surely entails a CPU hit, but isn't this
excessive?

And doesn't the series of the same error on exit indicate something very
wrong?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!

Randy
4d03875f1716626c7e742ca0dd781836?d=identicon&s=25 jsierles (Guest)
I see similiar behavior in Firefox on Windows...

Joshua Sierles
C9043a4e457c953ff465f497b39f345e?d=identicon&s=25 Randy Marmer (rmarmer1)
on 2005-11-19 14:52
jsierles wrote:
> I see similiar behavior in Firefox on Windows...
>
> Joshua Sierles

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the response. So far, I haven't been able to find any other
references to this problem...

I sent a detailed email to the author of Prototype, Sam Stephenson
<sam@conio.net>, including the javascript (from the Firefox javascript
browser) warnings that poped up when I open the page with the
"periodically_call_remote" & the error message that pops up when I exit
the test app.

In my case, my cpu will continue to rev for 20 ~ 45 seconds after I exit
the app... seems to me that it must be caught in some kind of loop (?).

I'll post again if I get an answer from Sam. In the meantime, however,
perhaps if you sent him an email too, he might be more likely to look
into it...

Randy