Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Firefox 'Rails Mailing List' search engine plugin

Ac1da5d66d51a1c3b843221032247b30?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Goodwin (Guest)
Hi all,
If you're like me you probably spend a lot of time search the Rails
mailing list. To make life a little bit easier I've created a nice
little plugin for firefox ( A whopping 15 lines of markup ). The plugin
uses nabble.com to search the mailing list.
Anyways, I thought I'd share.
If you want to install it the manual way, here's the code.

<search
version="1.0"
name="Rails"
description="Search Rails Mailing List"
action="http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp"
searchForm="http://www.nabble.com"
method="GET"

<input name="sourceid" value="Mozilla-search">
<input name="forum" value="13830">
<input name="local" value="y">
<input name="query" user="">
</search>

If you want the auto install with the icon.
http://blog.ericgoodwin.com/articles/2006/03/25/fi...

Happy Seaching!

-Eric
F68e4842b0a5487678e26046fdb2fdf3?d=identicon&s=25 Frank (Guest)
Thanks Eric.

  Very nice.

  Frank
Ceee1f15591d1f61ac5bec1bc70d0062?d=identicon&s=25 Sébastien Gruhier (Guest)
Kooool

Le 25 mars 06 à 07:23, Frank a écrit :
C4edcb52652d2b17fe2b38ef13bae729?d=identicon&s=25 David Andrew Thompson (Guest)
Thank you for the contribution, Eric! Great extension! -Dave

On 3/25/06, Sébastien Gruhier <seb@itseb.com> wrote:
> > Rails mailing list
> > Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Glad you guys found it useful!
With the amount of posts on the rails list each day now, I find I'm
having to use a search more and more even to find things that were
posted a day ago.
It's cool to see the community expanding so quickly! I am reminded of a
post on Amy Hoy's blog, though. Hopefully making searching easy will
help alleviate some of the troubles that are associated with such a
quick growth within a community.
Happy Searching!

-Eric
ericgoodwin.com
http://blog.ericgoodwin.com/articles/2006/03/25/fi...
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
Thanks for the great search engine.  I might be able to delete the last
years worth of emails now!
Now for something completely off topic.  Are you refering to Amy Hoy's
post about help vampires?
I found that post to be extremely elitist and derogatory.  I think it's
attitudes like hers which are the death of a community.  You never know
who's asking the questions.  It could be a 10 year old for all you know
and I would hate to see anyone put someone else down for asking a
question......even if they should of googled it first.

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 08:51 -0800, Eric Goodwin wrote:

> Happy Searching!
> >> Kooool

Charlie Bowman
Programmer
Castle Branch Inc.
Charlie Bowman wrote:

> I would hate to see anyone put someone else down
> for asking a question......even if they should of googled it first.

+1
F641ba2e0fc906fb77d74b52cf59d187?d=identicon&s=25 Doug Dupory (doug)
on 2006-03-27 20:47
It's great for newbies... thanks!

Eric Goodwin wrote:
> Hi all,
> If you're like me you probably spend a lot of time search the Rails
> mailing list. To make life a little bit easier I've created a nice
> little plugin for firefox ( A whopping 15 lines of markup ). The plugin
> uses nabble.com to search the mailing list.
> Anyways, I thought I'd share.
> If you want to install it the manual way, here's the code.

Ac1da5d66d51a1c3b843221032247b30?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Goodwin (Guest)
Glad you like the plugin.

As for the Amy Hoy post, you are correct in your assumption, I was
referring to her vampires post.
I think I read her post a bit differently than you did though.

First off, I didn't read anything about her advocating "putting down
someone for asking a question, even if they should have googled it
first".  She does mention that "not googling" may be one of the many
different short sights that all together could lead to a "vampirish"
post.  Quite opposite of a put down, she reminds everyone to "/be
nice!/" and to "foster thinking" within the community. If someone was to
ask a "vampirish" question, instead of answering it outright, point them
to the right page on the rails wiki, or another mailing list post, or a
blog.
I don't think it is "attitudes like hers which are the death of a
community", although I do agree that the post could sound a bit elitist.
Every once in a while you need a post like hers to stir up a bit of
thinking. As members of this community it is our job to drive it in a
direction that we see fit. I believe this is what she is trying to do.
Her post was more of an outcry, voicing concern about a community which
she deeply loves, but has been a annoyed with lately.

I, myself am no veteran, but I don't quite see myself as a newbie
anymore. After reading the post it got me thinking. Now, before I post
anything, I ask myself a few questions.
Have I searched the mailing list? Have I googled it? Have I checked the
wiki? Is my question written so that it is easy to understand? Have I
given enough information about my dev environment?
Sometimes I might miss one of these pre-post questions, and that's ok.
Just asking myself one or two of them will help out a lot.
I have, most likely, posted "vampire" posts in the past, but after
reading her post I now know a bit better about how to avoid it.

-Eric
ericgoodwin.com

Charlie Bowman wrote:

>> quick growth within a community.

Eric Goodwin
http://www.ericgoodwin.com
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
In hindsight, I think I was a little harsh on her.  She is trying to
help.  Her post just seemed to seperate the community into the "all
knowing" and the rest of us.  I by no means am an expert either and I
guess I just took her post a little personally.  I definitely ask more
questions than I answer, but I don't consider myself a vampire.

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 11:05 -0800, Eric Goodwin wrote:

> I don't think it is "attitudes like hers which are the death of a
> community", although I do agree that the post could sound a bit
> elitist.
> Every once in a while you need a post like hers to stir up a bit of
> thinking. As members of this community it is our job to drive it in a
> direction that we see fit.

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
B38068c464a06aa38ed820c6fafdde0c?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Brown (Guest)
OK, I know I'm gonna get the smack down for asking this but...

Lets say I have a Customer model (table) with
  customer.ship_To
  customer.ship_City
  customer.ship_State
  customer.bill_To
  customer.bill_City...
  and so on...

There are 20 or so 'preference' fields for a customer...

Is there a simple way to migrate this into my Order model / table
with the same field names?

i.e. Every order can have it's own billto/shipto but it's a pull from
the customers preferences...

I know I read something on this somewhere but I just can't find it
again.

Yeah, I already manually coded it -- works great...  But, I will
refactor it when I figure out the right way...

Thanks!

-c
Carl Brown wrote:
<snip>
> There are 20 or so 'preference' fields for a customer...
>
> Is there a simple way to migrate this into my Order model / table  with
> the same field names?
>
> i.e. Every order can have it's own billto/shipto but it's a pull from
> the customers preferences...
>
> I know I read something on this somewhere but I just can't find it  again.

I don't know of a direct way off the top of my head, but something along
these lines should work:

for column in Customer.content_columns
   assign_method = (column.name + '=').to_sym
   if @order.respond_to? assign_method
     @order.send(assign_method, @user.send(column.name.to_sym))

I'd suggest doing it via send() rather than accessing the properties
directly so that you're not stuck later if you want to change fields in
either model.