Require "tk" on linux

Hi there, I really need to be able to use tk on my linux box, but I get
an
error:

require “tk” => test.rb:1:in `require’: No such file to load – tk
(LoadError)

I can’t figure out how to solve this, since I got tk installed, and i
works
out just fine on my window box. Anyone who can help?

Thanks in advance.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/df8ceea00bda518/953d9ff16fff153a?q=tk+no+such+file+to+load&rnum=28#953d9ff16fff153a

2006/3/24, Jeppe J. [email protected]:

“winners never quit, quitters never win”

Gerardo S.
“Between individuals, as between nations, respect for the rights of
others is peace” - Don Benito Juárez

I’m afraid I did something wrong. When i enter the last line in step 3,
got this error:
ruby: No such file or directory – extconf.rb (LoadError)

Some things that may have caused the error:
Maybe I’ve been in the wrong directory? (Which one is the correct one?)
Maybe I don’t get the part about extconf.rb. Is it an existing file, or
shall I create it? If so, where do I put it and what should it contain?

I’m kind of new to Linux, so I don’t get most of the stuff yet.

2006/3/25, Gerardo S. Gómez Garrido [email protected]:

Yes I saw it but I don’t quite understand. For one thing, I don’t seem
have a directory called ext/tcltklib. I can’t find it and neither can my
search function.
I don’t have a directory called /usr/swf either.

2006/3/29, Gerardo S. Gómez Garrido [email protected]:

2006/3/28, Jeppe J. [email protected]:

Yes I saw it but I don’t quite understand. For one thing, I don’t seem to
have a directory called ext/tcltklib. I can’t find it and neither can my
search function.
I don’t have a directory called /usr/swf either.

You need Ruby’s source code, ext/tcltklib is there. You need Tcl/Tk’s
header files and libraries. Depending on your Linux distribution,
you’d need a *-devel and a *-lib package or something similar. Then
substitute /usr/sfw with the path where those files are installed.
Don’t forget to read ext/tcltklib/README.1st

From the same conversation:

cd ext/tcltklib

ruby extconf.rb --with-tcl-include=/usr/sfw/include

make && make install

Of course, /usr/swf/include should point to where your Tcl headers are
installed. Everything will be clear for you when you read the README
file inside ext/tcltklib.

2006/3/28, Jeppe J. [email protected]:

require “tk” => test.rb:1:in `require’: No such file to load – tk

“winners never quit, quitters never win”

Gerardo S.
“Between individuals, as between nations, respect for the rights of
others is peace” - Don Benito Juárez

I’ll take that I also will need the source for *-devel to get the
headers?
Where can I find this? A search on google only gave me a lot of
packages.

2006/3/29, Gerardo S. Gómez Garrido [email protected]:

From: “Jeppe J.” [email protected]
Subject: Re: Require “tk” on linux
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:28:23 +0900

Yes I saw it but I don’t quite understand. For one thing, I don’t seem to
have a directory called ext/tcltklib. I can’t find it and neither can my
search function.

If you extracted source codes of Ruby 1.8.4,
there is not ‘ext/tcltklib’.
‘ext/tcltklib’ and ‘ext/tk’ were unified to ‘ext/tk’.
Please check READMEs on ‘ext/tk’.