Forum: Rails Engines Migration

6c9ba0618ae7b276f99ce5875a169286?d=identicon&s=25 Chris C. (aboulafia)
on 2006-03-23 22:04
Hello,

I'm trying to learn good habits and use migration along with my very
first steps with RoR and Engines.

I have few questions for the advanced users of Engines :
1) Generating the migrate files
- I cd in my engine dir, then /absolutepath_to_ror_app/script/generate
migration AddCommentsTable
- script complains about db directory not existing
- mkdir db
- /absolutepath_to_ror_app/script/generate migration AddCommentsTable
again
- migrate file is generated in my app root/db directory not inside the
engine !

2) No matter, I mv the migrate file inside engine/db
- rake migrate_engine ENGINE=publish
- rake creates schema info and engine schema info but the content of the
migrate file is not executed (or if it is, it doesn't produce the
expected result)

To get generated schema into MySQL, I need to migrate and rake into the
root app dir, not inside the engine

Obviously, there is something wrong but I don't understand the reason...
6c9ba0618ae7b276f99ce5875a169286?d=identicon&s=25 Chris C. (aboulafia)
on 2006-03-23 22:35
Got it working, maybe the problem was caused by previous failed tries or
manual alteration of the db (without reseting version table)

But point 1) is still true - But quite harmless
James Adam (Guest)
At the moment you cannot generate migrations directly into an Engine -
instead, you can either create them by hand (which isn't hard once you
know what you're doing), or generate them in the Rails application and
copy them over (making sure that they are numbered appropriately).

Also - Rake tasks must always be run from RAILS_ROOT.

- james

On 3/23/06, Christophe Gimenez <kandjidev@yahoo.fr> wrote:

* J *
  ~