Forum: Ruby Ruby and RoR Book Roundup

Df5e7adb20adae6c120b04e7cafb15a0?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Sanheim (Guest)
Hello,

I'm a big bookworm, so I decided to round up all the upcoming Ruby
books in the market in one big blog post.  At my count, there are
_sixteen_ books to be released (in print) for the upcoming year, with
some available in pdf form right now.  Here's the list:

http://www.robsanheim.com/2006/03/23/ruby-and-ruby...

Hope its helpful for fellow book nerds out there!

- Rob
B3260ee62969961010117e21e9872a3a?d=identicon&s=25 Kenneth Lee (Guest)
Wow 16.  It'll be a bit of effort to separate the wheat from the chaff.
0ce41464080e3a3e337ad7463ce1e2fe?d=identicon&s=25 Jason D. Clinton (Guest)
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 03:42 +0900, Rob Sanheim wrote:
> I'm a big bookworm, so I decided to round up all the upcoming Ruby
> books in the market in one big blog post.  At my count, there are
> _sixteen_ books to be released (in print) for the upcoming year, with
> some available in pdf form right now.  Here's the list:
>
> http://www.robsanheim.com/2006/03/23/ruby-and-ruby...
>
> Hope its helpful for fellow book nerds out there!

I wanted to add my book to the stack. "Ruby Phrasebook" is also being
published by Sams and is up on Amazon.com. The target publishing date is
June. In the coming weeks I will announce more details -- hopefully, we
can get some preview copies out to members of this list.
Bc77637b2e39fcd4f3e8a6b61d82a2b5?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I'm glad to see an increasing proliferation of Rubyish books but
was wondering when there will be a Ruby For Dummies. While
browsing  bookstores the "Dummies" series have become very
prominate now in the software field, and the quality of many of
them are the antithesis of being for dummies. The recent edition
of "Firefox For Dummies" by Blake Ross (www.blakeross.com),
one of the major developers of the Firefox browser, elegantly makes
that point, as that edition is highly inciteful and cogently written.

Though there are, and will be even more, intelligently written and
usesful Ruby books, from just a pure marketing point of view, it
would seem a "Ruby For Dummies" would represent somewhat
of a tipping point in the mainstreamnig of Ruby, at least in the minds
of the publishing community, and make Ruby just that more accessible
to the neophyte Joe/Jane to give it a try.

Since Ruby has already had the O'Reilly treatment once ("Ruby In A
Nutshell" by Matz) can "Ruby For Dummies" be far behind?

Anybody know how to make this happen?
On Mar 26, 2006, at 3:03 PM, jzakiya@mail.com wrote:

> hat point, as that edition is highly inciteful and cogently written.

I hope its not inciteful! ;)
C1bcb559f87f356698cfad9f6d630235?d=identicon&s=25 Hal Fulton (Guest)
jzakiya@mail.com wrote:
> usesful Ruby books, from just a pure marketing point of view, it
> would seem a "Ruby For Dummies" would represent somewhat
> of a tipping point in the mainstreamnig of Ruby, at least in the minds
> of the publishing community, and make Ruby just that more accessible
> to the neophyte Joe/Jane to give it a try.
>
> Since Ruby has already had the O'Reilly treatment once ("Ruby In A
> Nutshell" by Matz) can "Ruby For Dummies" be far behind?
>
> Anybody know how to make this happen?

Just my opinion.

I would write that book in four words. Page 1 would
say, "Ruby isn't for dummies."

The rest of the pages would be blank, for taking notes.

Cheers,
Hal
Bc77637b2e39fcd4f3e8a6b61d82a2b5?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
inciteful is the phonetically correct substitute for insightful,
when you're too tired to read your own writing more than once. ;-)