Forum: Ruby Newbie: .Net => Ruby Questions

Da90b63efd165104d5f68f02b999a93b?d=identicon&s=25 Dru (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 03:46
If I am a .Net developer and I want to build a windows GUI I use
System.Windows.Forms . What do I use in ruby?

In .Net there are namespaces. What is the equivilent in Ruby?

What is out there to support Web Services for ruby?

Thanks,

Dru
Bc0e53263853a850ba3e63bcb8c6a2f3?d=identicon&s=25 Brian.LeRoux (Guest)
You can use CLR bridge. Just do a search in the archives..
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
on 2006-03-22 05:30
Dru wrote:
> If I am a .Net developer and I want to build a windows GUI I use
> System.Windows.Forms . What do I use in ruby?
>
> In .Net there are namespaces. What is the equivilent in Ruby?
>
> What is out there to support Web Services for ruby?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dru

Hi Dru,

Welcome to the Ruby world!  There aren't too many easy choices yet for
doing Ruby on Windows, but you might want to check out John Lam's
project for letting you program against .NET assemblies from within Ruby
code (www.iunknown.com).  It's still under development.

Otherwise, people seem to be using other cross-platform GUI libraries
like Tk and Gtk; and I haven't tried it but you can check out
VisualURuby which claims to be an easier GUI library specialize for Ruby
on Windows (http://ruby.codezoo.com/pub/component/5196?category=366).

If you find something that works for you (or not), I'd like to hear
about it.

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
on 2006-03-22 05:33
Dru wrote:
> In .Net there are namespaces. What is the equivilent in Ruby?

Sorry, forgot the answer the 2nd part of your question... Modules are
the equivalent of namespaces.  They also serve a 2nd purpose - to
provide mix-in ability - but that's a different story altogether.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/ has a good section on
Modules.

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com
1bd0ef3d806aa0d512fc93c2953b7267?d=identicon&s=25 Gomix (Guest)
Dru wrote:
> If I am a .Net developer and I want to build a windows GUI I use
> System.Windows.Forms . What do I use in ruby?

Perhaps GTK is one of the best choices for Windows Ruby GUI.
For Windows u can use Glade/Gtk for Windows to design your interface,
then use the XML files produced by glade in ruby for showing and
manipulate the widgets and connecting to ruby code for events.
If u prefer to start without Glade, u can code Gtk directly in your
ruby programs.

Resources:

http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/