Forum: Ruby Re: undefined method `add_assertion' for nil:NilClass

Fd870ca69f1243766bd8697ea3415df2?d=identicon&s=25 Paatsch, Bernd (Guest)
I started with ruby about 6 weeks ago. So I am pretty new. The code I
have
contains out of 4 files and works only with a specific underlying
application, which I manipulate through the code. Maybe I am
misuderstanding
the use of assertions. I thought that assertions help raising errors. I
don't want to run a Unittest. So maybe my approach is wrong?
I removee < Test::Unit::TestCase

Now I get:
TEST FAILED.undefined method `assert' for #<WebAC::BPUtils:0x2c2e270>

My code:
  #Includes
    require 'test/unit/assertions'
    require 'test/unit'

  # more code
  $clsBPUtils = BPUtils.new
  # more code

  class BPUtils
  	require 'test/unit/assertions'

    def initialize
        # empty
    end

    def bpVerifyPopupWindowOpen( ieCont, verify)
      begin
	  assert( ieCont.contains_text( verify) )
	  puts("TEST PASSED. Found test string 'Programming Ruby' ")
   rescue => e
         puts("TEST FAILED." + e.message + "\n" +
e.backtrace.join("\n"))
Hi Bernd

if your parameter ieCont (I hope that does not mean what I am afraid it
does
mean ;)
is nil it cannot respond to the method contains_text and that seems to
be
your problem.
It seems you did not pass an object of the expected type.

It does not really have anything to do with assert, only that the stack
trace becomes a little bit confusing sometimes.

Cheers
Robert

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein