Forum: Ruby on Rails running .bash_login everytime

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
66d1d0df01e4bbb82674a353ea68d6ee?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Kieschnick (jjkiesch)
on 2006-03-21 16:32
i used
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...
to install ruby on rails on my mac. everything works fine unless i close
the terminal application. after a while of pulling my hair out, i found
out that everytime i restart terminal, i have to run ". ~/.bash_login"
to make the paths work right. is that what i'm supposed to do everytme,
or did i do something wrong?

i'm new to a lot of this stuff, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
on 2006-03-21 19:59
(Received via mailing list)
Josh Kieschnick wrote:
> i used
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...
> to install ruby on rails on my mac. everything works fine unless i close
> the terminal application. after a while of pulling my hair out, i found
> out that everytime i restart terminal, i have to run ". ~/.bash_login"
> to make the paths work right. is that what i'm supposed to do everytme,
> or did i do something wrong?
>
> i'm new to a lot of this stuff, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Two possibilities:

Do you have ~/.bash_profile file? The contents of that file are
preferred over the contents of ~/.bash_login, so you need to combine the
two and get rid of the other.

Move the relevant contents of ~/.bash_login to ~/.bashrc The contents of
.bash_login are only sourced when bash is invoked as a login shell,
although my limited testing on mac os x shows that most normal ways of
opening a new terminal does source my .bash_profile.

Ray
66d1d0df01e4bbb82674a353ea68d6ee?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Kieschnick (jjkiesch)
on 2006-03-21 20:53
>
> Two possibilities:
>
> Do you have ~/.bash_profile file? The contents of that file are
> preferred over the contents of ~/.bash_login, so you need to combine the
> two and get rid of the other.
>
> Move the relevant contents of ~/.bash_login to ~/.bashrc The contents of
> .bash_login are only sourced when bash is invoked as a login shell,
> although my limited testing on mac os x shows that most normal ways of
> opening a new terminal does source my .bash_profile.
>
> Ray

I just checked that, niether one of those other files exist when I tried
to edit them. I'm guessing another problem could be the actual location
of the file, but I typed it just like it was on the previously mentioned
tutorial.
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
on 2006-03-21 21:50
(Received via mailing list)
Josh Kieschnick wrote:
>>
>> Ray
>
> I just checked that, niether one of those other files exist when I tried
> to edit them. I'm guessing another problem could be the actual location
> of the file, but I typed it just like it was on the previously mentioned
> tutorial.
>


The file ~/.bash_login is in your home directory. That's what the "~"
means. What's the result of typing

ls -l ~/.bash_login

in the Terminal?

--

Ray
66d1d0df01e4bbb82674a353ea68d6ee?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Kieschnick (jjkiesch)
on 2006-03-21 23:13
that's what i get:

-rw-r--r--   1 name  name  72 Mar 20 08:44 /Users/name/.bash_login
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.