Forum: Rails Engines development script/plugin update [plugin_or_engine_name] broken?

649d294abfa6ae2c0e2f38c87bdf8b83?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ditkins (cleaner416)
on 2006-03-21 16:10
I've created a couple of engines for use with some internal projects
here and stuck them in their own svn repos.

Then I have other svn-stored projects I want to use the engines with.
Both the projects and the engines are updated quite a bit.

So I install the engine from my project: script/plugin install
http://<path_to_engine_repo>/<engine_name>

Then later I commit some changes to the engine.

So then I go to my project and try to update the plugin: script/plugin
update <engine_name>

I get: "Updating plugin: <engine_name> " and no errors as a result.

But the source code of the engine is NOT updated in the project.  Arrg.
Any ideas? (I would hate to blow away my engine with an  rm -rf and
reinstall everytime I make a tweak)

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

(X posted on the RoR list, got a nil response)
I wouldn't bother with the script/plugin command for your own engines
- why not just set SVN externals to your engine repositories and use
'svn update' to pull in the latest changes?

- james

On 3/21/06, Lance Ditkins <cleaner416@mac.com> wrote:

> (X posted on the RoR list, got a nil response)
>
> --

* J *
  ~
649d294abfa6ae2c0e2f38c87bdf8b83?d=identicon&s=25 Lance Ditkins (cleaner416)
on 2006-03-21 17:31
You're right - that's a much better idea.  Thanks for lifting my head
out of the sand.