Forum: Ruby Disabling reception of copies of my own messages sent to rub

B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
Hi

How can I tell ruby-talk to not send me copies of the messages I send to
it?

Regards,
Alder Green
0ec4920185b657a03edf01fff96b4e9b?d=identicon&s=25 Yukihiro Matsumoto (Guest)

In message "Re: Disabling reception of copies of my own messages sent to
ruby-talk"
    on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:53:29 +0900, "Alder Green"
<alder.green@gmail.com> writes:

|How can I tell ruby-talk to not send me copies of the messages I send to it?

No.  It's distributed to all list recipients right after its arrival
to the list server.  If you have any problematic contents, all we can
do is removing the mail from the list archive.

							matz.
Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Disabling reception of copies of my own messages sent to ruby-talk"
>     on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:53:29 +0900, "Alder Green" <alder.green@gmail.com> writes:
>
> |How can I tell ruby-talk to not send me copies of the messages I send to it?
>
> No.  It's distributed to all list recipients right after its arrival
> to the list server.  If you have any problematic contents, all we can
> do is removing the mail from the list archive.

Alder, since you are on Gmail it's probably not too hard to create a
filter that will delete your messages to the list.

Kind regards

	robert
On 3/21/06, Robert Klemme <bob.news@gmx.net> wrote:
> > do is removing the mail from the list archive.
>
> Alder, since you are on Gmail it's probably not too hard to create a
> filter that will delete your messages to the list.

Careful with this though, because it'll trash both copies.
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
Hi

Thanks to everyone who answered this thread.

I'll try solving the problem by adding a filter to my Gmail account.

Regards,
Alder Green
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
Ok, an update:

It appears Gmail doesn't provide any way to filter those messages.

Gmail allows filtering based on three headers only:

1. From
3. Subject

Beyond those headers, Gmail only allows to filter by positive and
negative text search on the message body.

Since the copies sent by ruby-talk are identical to the original sent
message in all the above 3 headers, and also of course the body,
there's no way to distinguish and selectively remove copies by using
the current Gmail filters.

So it appears the only way to avoid message duplication if you have
Gmail is by using a more sophisticated email client and accessing
through POP3. Which is too bad, since the web client is so much more
comfortable and portable.

Alder