Forum: Ruby on Rails Offline installation of ruby gems and rails

366d38b6a9db0296b203db82e154e2fb?d=identicon&s=25 Amit (Guest)
on 2006-03-21 10:24
How do i install ruby gems and rails if the computer is not connected to
the internet? I have installed Ruby by the one click installer and have
the zip files of ruby gems and rails downloaded from rubyforge. I am
using Windows XP with Apache and MySql.
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Forder (Guest)
Amit wrote:
> How do i install ruby gems and rails if the computer is not connected to
> the internet? I have installed Ruby by the one click installer and have
> the zip files of ruby gems and rails downloaded from rubyforge. I am
> using Windows XP with Apache and MySql.

I haven't done this myself, but it appears that you just need to have
the .gem files in the current directory when you run "gem install xxx"

   http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/10#page33

"gem install will install the named gem. It will attempt a local
installation (i.e. a .gem file in the current directory), and if that
fails, it will attempt to download and install the most recent version
of the gem you want."

regards

   Justin