Forum: Ruby Web server recommendations?

Ec2a9a9da5c8a5f14a0fe2361ae4e08a?d=identicon&s=25 Mark J.Reed (Guest)
I want my website to include a mixture of static HTML pages, RAILS apps,
some simpler dynamic pages using eruby, and maybe even the occasional
PHP page (gasp! horror! no!).  Definitely care most about the Ruby
support.

So what web server do you recommend?  Apache 1.3.x?  Apache 2.x?  Should
I use mod_ruby or fastcgi?  What does RAILS integrate best with?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bf6862e2a409078e13a3979c00bba1d6?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
}
} So what web server do you recommend?  Apache 1.3.x?  Apache 2.x?
Should
} I use mod_ruby or fastcgi?  What does RAILS integrate best with?
}
} Thanks for any suggestions.

I have had great success with Apache2 and fcgid. Installing it under
Debian
was pretty much trivial. Getting a Rails app working involved a little
bit
of messing with routes and configs, but that's it.

--Greg
B2561fdd05855be51aca982c54eb9f81?d=identicon&s=25 John N. Alegre (Guest)
Mark J. Reed wrote:

> I want my website to include a mixture of static HTML pages, RAILS apps,
> some simpler dynamic pages using eruby, and maybe even the occasional
> PHP page (gasp! horror! no!).  Definitely care most about the Ruby
> support.
>
> So what web server do you recommend?  Apache 1.3.x?  Apache 2.x?  Should
> I use mod_ruby or fastcgi?  What does RAILS integrate best with?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

This is a loaded responce because I am looking for comments on my
solution
but my solution has certainly been working for me.

With Apache 2.0.6 and Rails 1.0.0, I run my Rails apps under the WEBrick
default on a non public port.  I then have Apache direct Rails app
requests
to that port on localhost.  I am not running fastCGI just normal stock
Apache with no mods.  I have even done this with WEBrick running on a
separate box on my LAN where Apache is on an OS X system and WEBrick is
on
a linux boxen.

Now .. I do not get a ton of hits and I would guess there is a scale
issue
here.  But it has worked for me with moderate load.

Comments?
john
John N. Alegre wrote:

> separate box on my LAN where Apache is on an OS X system and WEBrick is on
> a linux boxen.

Have you looked at Mongrel?  It's a Ruby + C Webserver in the vein of
WEBrick, but far zippier.

--
James Britt

"In Ruby, no one cares who your parents were, all they care
  about is if you know  what you are talking about."
   - Logan Capaldo