Forum: Ruby on Rails Blank Page Loading before Action Complete

832cf770881fdde1e604873ac425d89b?d=identicon&s=25 Gabriel Boys (gabrielboys)
on 2006-03-19 19:50
I am having this problem where a blank page is being loaded before an
action can complete.  I have a somewhat lengthy calculation that I am
doing, and well before it is done a blank page is displayed.  Once it is
finished it is supposed to display an overview of the results but it
never shows that page.  At first I was not sure what was going on, but I
tailed the development log, and even though the blank page is shown, the
action is still plugging away in the background.  Consequently it works
fine on my local machine with Webrick, but not on my web server with
Apache.  Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gabe
Ca26b3e12e5202c3d771804afbdb1267?d=identicon&s=25 John Petterson (johnpetterson)
on 2006-03-20 13:00
Try clearing up the Cookies.
Should work I guess!

Gabriel Boys wrote:
> I am having this problem where a blank page is being loaded before an
> action can complete.  I have a somewhat lengthy calculation that I am
> doing, and well before it is done a blank page is displayed.  Once it is
> finished it is supposed to display an overview of the results but it
> never shows that page.  At first I was not sure what was going on, but I
> tailed the development log, and even though the blank page is shown, the
> action is still plugging away in the background.  Consequently it works
> fine on my local machine with Webrick, but not on my web server with
> Apache.  Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Gabe
832cf770881fdde1e604873ac425d89b?d=identicon&s=25 Gabriel Boys (gabrielboys)
on 2006-03-20 15:10
Thanks for the advice.  I did the following

1) deleted all cookies off my client machine.
2) deleted all ruby session files that I owned on my shared server
3) ran the calculation again

The same thing happened, a blank page with the code still running in the
background.  Right now it just sort of "goes out to lunch" when running
this calculation, I have not put any sort of progress indicator or
anything in there yet.  I wonder if I did that would it maybe not time
out like it is appearing to do?

Gabe