String keys in hash

Hi all,

My app is going to count sth based on poll id in the url. The url
looks like:
http://address.com?id=dwNKiItvcyrQ5sycnIhmJablDfXsc9tshaGIVyNIei7.e7&some_other_parameters

In a controller, I’ve created a hash where the keys are the ids:

@codes = {
‘dwNKiItvcyrQ5sycnIhmJablDfXsc9tshaGIVyNIei7.e7’ =>
{:partner_id => 0,
:partner_name => ‘sth’,
:page_number => 1},

}

Then i do:

poll_id = ‘"’ + params[‘id’] + ‘"’

The problem is, @codes[poll_id] returns nil.

Otherwise, @codes[“dwNKiItvcyrQ5sycnIhmJablDfXsc9tshaGIVyNIei7.e7”]
works ok. What am I doing wrong if the keys are the same and explicite
string works while variable doesn’t?

Can you explain me that and write how to solve that problem?

Thanks in advance, greetz

K.O.N.L.I.N. [email protected]
Kinetic Organism Normally for Logical Infiltration and Nullification,

      "Day after day, love turns grey
       Like the skin of a dying man"

Hi –

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Konlin wrote:

    {:partner_id => 0,

Otherwise, @codes[“dwNKiItvcyrQ5sycnIhmJablDfXsc9tshaGIVyNIei7.e7”]
works ok. What am I doing wrong if the keys are the same and explicite
string works while variable doesn’t?

They’re not the same; one of them has double quotation marks and the
other doesn’t. The string:

abc

and the string

“abc”

do not make for the same hash key.

David

David A. Black ([email protected])

“Ruby for Rails” chapters now available
from Manning Early Access Program! Ruby for Rails

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 03:08:28PM +0100, Konlin wrote:

poll_id = ‘"’ + params[‘id’] + ‘"’
What are those ‘"’ + … + ‘"’ for? You are already passing a
string when you do params[‘id’] so this would be enough:

poll_id = params[‘id’]
@codes[poll_id]

or just: @codes[params[‘id’]]

Hi KN,

W Twoim li¶cie datowanym 19 marca 2006 (16:08:46) mo¿na
przeczytaæ:
K> What are those ‘"’ + … + ‘"’ for? You are already passing a
K> string when you do params[‘id’] so this would be enough:
K>
K> poll_id = params[‘id’]
K> @codes[poll_id]

K> or just: @codes[params[‘id’]]

You’re right. Thanks for answer, I’m a very beginning programmer :slight_smile:

K.O.N.L.I.N. [email protected]
Kinetic Organism Normally for Logical Infiltration and Nullification,

      "Is this not what you expected to see?"