Forum: Ruby Ruby Hacking Guide Translation

7f19d1a3818a0a0c2f59ecba589bbf6b?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Isambart (Guest)
Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that I have translated in English the second
chapter ("Objects") of the "Ruby Hacking Guide" by Minero AOKI. The
Japanese name of the book is "Ruby kanzen soosu coodo kaisetsu" (that
means "Ruby complete source code explanation"), but "Ruby Hacking
Guide" was its working title and has more or less become its
"official" English name.

This book explains the internals of the ruby interpreter. And even if
you do not care about how the interpreter works, I think it can help
have a better understanding of Ruby and how to make extension
libraries. To fully understand the content, you'll need to have a good
knowledge of Ruby and C. And do not forget that Ruby is the language
and ruby its implementation.

Why the second chapter? Well, because I think it was the first chapter
that we needed to have a translation of. The first chapter of the book
is just a summary of the Ruby language. In English we already have the
Pickaxe with its first edition freely available on the Web. And as
translating takes a lot of time, I think it's better to select the
most interesting ones. The chapter 4 and 6 are on the tracks.

Be aware of the fact that I am far from being a professional
translator, this translation was just a way for me to improve my
knowledge of Ruby and the Japanese language. And English is not my
mother tongue, so it takes a little longer for me to translate. But I
think more people are interested in an English version ;). The English
could be better but I prefer spending more time on the Japanese and
let someone better than me correct my sentences.

I would like to also use this mail to ask if anyone else is interested
in translating the RHG in English. Minero AOKI told me he thinks that
some other people may have begun translating on their side, and I
think he may be right. So if you have started translating it or want
to, do not hesitate to manifest yourself. Japanese people are of
course welcome to join us. You do not even need to know Japanese to
help: you can maybe check wording, grammar and spelling, or help us
with the diagrams.

I doubt that alone I would able to translate the whole book (it's 500
pages long), but with some help, we should be able to at least
translate a big part of it.

Finally, I'd like to thank Minero AOKI for allowing me to post my
translation of his book on the web. Thanks also to Laurent SANSONETTI
for checking my translation, to Kouhei SUTOU for helping me understand
some Japanese sentences, and to the Rubyforge guys for hosting us.

Here's the address: http://rhg.rubyforge.org

And for those who want the Japanese version, it's still available at
http://i.loveruby.net/ja/rhg/ (http://i.loveruby.net/ja/rhg/book/ if
you want to directly access the content).

Cheers,
Vincent "scritch" ISAMBART
Cee0292fffa691f1fb320d5400200e99?d=identicon&s=25 Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 07:01:03AM +0900, Vincent Isambart wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I have translated in English the second
> chapter ("Objects") of the "Ruby Hacking Guide" by Minero AOKI. The
> Japanese name of the book is "Ruby kanzen soosu coodo kaisetsu" (that
> means "Ruby complete source code explanation"), but "Ruby Hacking
> Guide" was its working title and has more or less become its
> "official" English name.

Very exciting. Many thanks.

marcel
573b9499030e1ccb867ef80f0ff1ac49?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Bailey (Guest)
Awesome. I'm know this represents a ton of work. Thank you for your
time!
Thank you very much Vincent for your hard work on this, I have been
waiting for someone to translate some of the great Japanes ruby textx
out there. And thanks to Minero Aoki for allowing you to publish this
work on the web,

Cheers-
-Ezra
On 3/17/06, Vincent Isambart <vincent.isambart@gmail.com> wrote:
> you do not care about how the interpreter works, I think it can help
> most interesting ones. The chapter 4 and 6 are on the tracks.
> in translating the RHG in English. Minero AOKI told me he thinks that

Awesome. Need some help on future chapters? I have a copy of the book,
and my clumsy Japanese skills have been enough for manga and anime
translations in the past.
I could use the practice.

--Wilson.
Eb9493c94d8db9887e5f15284d2c767f?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
In article
<7d9a1f530603171400j60cc5b8br82c251ddbca33775@mail.gmail.com>,
Vincent Isambart <vincent.isambart@gmail.com> wrote:
>you do not care about how the interpreter works, I think it can help
>have a better understanding of Ruby and how to make extension
>libraries. To fully understand the content, you'll need to have a good
>knowledge of Ruby and C. And do not forget that Ruby is the language
>and ruby its implementation.

That looks like a very useful book.  Thanks for translating this
chapter, I'm
looking forward to more.  Also, I hope that you can get some help from
others
who can read Japanese.

Phil
2899cec9af525f7953e19c8210aca97c?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Perkins (Guest)
On Mar 17, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Vincent Isambart wrote:

> you do not care about how the interpreter works, I think it can help
> have a better understanding of Ruby and how to make extension
> libraries. To fully understand the content, you'll need to have a good
> knowledge of Ruby and C. And do not forget that Ruby is the language
> and ruby its implementation.

Vincent, this is fantastic. Thank you!

--
Jason Perkins
jperkins@sneer.org

"The key to performance is elegance, not
  battalions of special cases."
  - Jon Bentley and Doug McIlroy
D23f436b8e718e80f447712cdac67083?d=identicon&s=25 Amr Malik (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 04:27
Vincent Isambart wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am pleased to announce that I have translated in English the second
> chapter ("Objects") of the "Ruby Hacking Guide" by Minero AOKI. The
> Japanese name of the book is "Ruby kanzen soosu coodo kaisetsu" (that
> means "Ruby complete source code explanation"), but "Ruby Hacking
> Guide" was its working title and has more or less become its
> "official" English name.
> Cheers,
> Vincent "scritch" ISAMBART

Thank you so so much! this is invaluable!

Amr
32edd0717b3144d5c58a352d613abdc9?d=identicon&s=25 gabriele renzi (Guest)
Vincent Isambart ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am pleased to announce that I have translated in English the second
> chapter ("Objects") of the "Ruby Hacking Guide" by Minero AOKI.

basically, thank a lot, to you and to minero aoki for letting his book
in the wild :)

Anyway, I'd just point out the machine-translated version of the RHG[1],
I think the guy who did the machine translation also took a look at some
chapters to fix dummy translations, you may find some more informations
in the archives.

[1]http://hawthorne-press.com/
48d1aca7191f2d16e184971054c7c143?d=identicon&s=25 Meinrad Recheis (Guest)
On 3/17/06, Vincent Isambart <vincent.isambart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am pleased to announce that I have translated in English the second
> chapter ("Objects") of the "Ruby Hacking Guide" by Minero AOKI.
[...]
> Cheers,
> Vincent "scritch" ISAMBART

the Ruby Hacking Guide is an almost mystical book outside japan
because everyone knew it but only a few have ever read it. thanks to
you this will change. i consider this one of the most valuable gifts
to the english speaking ruby community!

i don't know japanese and i don't know english grammar and syntax well
but i know a lot about graphics ... so i could be of help with the
diagrams.

btw: wouldn't this translation be also a candidate for the pandora
bookshelf?
-- henon

Meinrad Recheis wrote:
> i don't know japanese and i don't know english grammar and syntax
> well but i know a lot about graphics ... so i could be of help with
> the diagrams.

I do need help :). As written on the web page
http://rhg.rubyforge.org, if you want to help, come to the
rhg-discussion mailing list:

Wilson Bilkovic wrote:
> I have a copy of the book, and my clumsy Japanese skills have been
> enough for manga and anime translations in the past. I could use
> the practice.

Well, to translate there is no need for the book itself (but I can't
hurt to have it ;)). It seems the book it out of print so getting one
seems now pretty hard.

Compared to anime and manga... well the vocabulary is quite different
and the grammar more complicated. But translating RHG is good practice
:).

Meinrad Recheis wrote:
> btw: wouldn't this translation be also a candidate for the pandora
> bookshelf?

Well, I did have a look at Pandora and I'm not sure it's really a good
candidate mainly because if I understand it well, it's made to edit
texts in your browser. For translating I need spell checking, to look
at the same time at my text in English and the original Japanese
version, open different dictionaries, stay a long time sometimes even
on one sentence. It also seems the docs are not stored in a human
readable format, which I think is a big plus. An other important point
is that most of the time I work on the translation, my computer is not
connected to the Internet...

But I do not know Pandora well, so you may prove me wrong.

For the moment I use RedCloth with a few modifications to better fit
my needs. Everything (including the translation themselves) is stored
on the RHG SubVersion repository on RubyForge.

Cheers,
Vincent ISAMBART