Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem with ruby 1.8.4 One-Click Ruby Installer on windows

F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)
on 2006-03-17 10:19
Hi!

Previously i had ruby 1.8.2 (One-Click Ruby Installer) installed, but
the rdoc and plugindoc didn't work, so i decided to install ruby 1.8.4.

I had uninstalled ruby 1.8.2 (uninstaller deleted the whole ruby folder
with radrails and everything, just great) and installed One-Click Ruby
Installer 1.8.4-16 preview3.

Then installed rails, rmagick, radrails, created docs for trunk version
of file_column plugin, everything works.

But when i try to display any page i get lots of errors like these:

compile error
./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:56: parse
error, unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting kEND
./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:57: parse
error, unexpected $, expecting kEND
./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:62: Invalid
char `\002' in expression

If i remove spaces and newline characters between lines and place them
again, it stops complaining about these lines (most of the time) and
starts complaining about lines below those i've fixed. I can't remove
every space and /n in my whole app.

Did you have similar problem? Does anyone know any solution?

Thanks in advance
F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)
on 2006-03-18 18:20
Nobody experienced similar errors?

In 1.8.2-15 release rdoc didn't work and now these strange compile
errors.

I have no idea if it's One-Click Ruby Installer fault or Ruby-mswin32
binaries it uses.
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
on 2006-03-18 19:54
szymek  wrote:
> Nobody experienced similar errors?
>
> In 1.8.2-15 release rdoc didn't work and now these strange compile
> errors.
>
> I have no idea if it's One-Click Ruby Installer fault or Ruby-mswin32
> binaries it uses.

I experienced a similar problem with 1.8.4 prev3. strange tabs and worng
line feed/carrier return (form mac to win) make some scripts don't run.

The ruby-mswin32 behave the same way, so my guess is the whole
compilation for win32.

On *nix didn't show problems with lf nor cr (mac=CR, win=CRLF, unix=LF).

Anyone?

Try sanitize your scripts/ partials/views using Programmers Notepad 2
(http://www.pnotepad.org)

I use this to void the similar problem.

Regards,

Luis
24c13792ed78125deef81ab752625a7a?d=identicon&s=25 Sorenson (Guest)
on 2006-03-18 22:52
I got the same kind of erros with the Instant Rails package using 1.8.4.
Very strange errors in unexpected places complaining about "kEND" and
such.  Others on this forum seemed to be having similar kinds of
problems (not just in Windows), but I never saw a solution posted so I
reverted back to 1.8.2 and things are OK again.  There seems to be
something wrong with 1.8.4.

szymek  wrote:

> > But when i try to display any page i get lots of errors like these:
>
> compile error
> ./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:56: parse
> error, unexpected tCONSTANT, expecting kEND
> ./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:57: parse
> error, unexpected $, expecting kEND
> ./script/../config/../app/views/admin/properties/_form.rhtml:62: Invalid
> char `\002' in expression

F639e0cdf2fa098b535d6ec766b2aee1?d=identicon&s=25 Szymon Nowak (g0nzo)
on 2006-03-19 21:15
Thanks!

I'll try Programmers Notepad 2.

Maybe i'll install both versions - 1.8.2 for normal usage and 1.8.4 for
creating documentation :)
1dc4b1e2548b462d02d092b923ccbabc?d=identicon&s=25 PsiliPharm (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 00:27
szymek  wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I'll try Programmers Notepad 2.
>
> Maybe i'll install both versions - 1.8.2 for normal usage and 1.8.4 for
> creating documentation :)

I'm curious if the programmer's notepad thing worked, because I had the
same issue but it was only when I had the file_column plugin installed
did I have this problem come up, otherwise everything worked fine, and I
suspect that this could be the issue since it occured at odd times,
sometimes it'll work and othertimes it wouldn't.  I may try ruby 1.8.2
as well.

Thanks,

PsiliPharm
1dc4b1e2548b462d02d092b923ccbabc?d=identicon&s=25 PsiliPharm (Guest)
on 2006-03-22 01:07
PsiliPharm wrote:
> szymek  wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I'll try Programmers Notepad 2.
>>
>> Maybe i'll install both versions - 1.8.2 for normal usage and 1.8.4 for
>> creating documentation :)
>
> I'm curious if the programmer's notepad thing worked, because I had the
> same issue but it was only when I had the file_column plugin installed
> did I have this problem come up, otherwise everything worked fine, and I
> suspect that this could be the issue since it occured at odd times,
> sometimes it'll work and othertimes it wouldn't.  I may try ruby 1.8.2
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> PsiliPharm

I just tried sanitizing my scripts with Programmer's Notepad and it
worked on maybe one or two files, but other files the error still
appeared, but if I removed the file_column plugin everything works fine,
without any editing of code, that is if I didn't put the :file_column in
the model, anyways ... I have not encountered this problem with anything
else.  Just with file_column which I really would like to get working
ASAP.  I originally had 1.8.2 but then I upgraded to 1.8.4, I believe
that 1.8.2 is still installed? ... if so, how do I force the script to
require 1.8.2?  Input is greatly needed.

Thank You,

PsiliPharm