[ANN] Substruct Open Source E-Commerce Platform

Finally it’s here :slight_smile:

The Rails app to do battle with the likes of Miva Merchant and OS
Commerce!

I’m releasing Substruct 0.051 into the wild.

More information here:
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct

Please check it out! I’d love to hear all of your thoughts - and I’m
looking
for contributors!

PS:

Don’t let the version # fool you…this code is running 2 very
high-traffic
production sites plus a few other smaller ones.

Excellent work.

I have been using OSCommerce for ages now, and am very pleased to see a
Rails alternative. Now, to get PayPal and Moneris integrated :slight_smile:

Also, I came across the “Need Help?” on the store page, and seen that
the
contact form is 404’ed.

-Nb

On 3/16/06 2:34 PM, “subimage interactive” [email protected] wrote:

for contributors!

seth at subimage interactive
http://www.subimage.com/sublog/

Rails mailing list

Nathaniel S. H. Brown                        http://nshb.net

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

Woops forgot to add the route to the production site :slight_smile:

Fixed now thanks

All you digg users be sure to digg it as well :slight_smile:

http://digg.com/programming/Open_Source_Ruby_on_Rails_Shopping_Cart

Whoah I had a little scare there. The site made it to the front page of
Digg.

I had my MaxClients set to 20 in apache. Bumping it up to 200 helped a
lot
:wink:

Thanks to everyone who dugg the story!

On 3/16/06, subimage interactive [email protected] wrote:

All you digg users be sure to digg it as well :slight_smile:

http://digg.com/programming/Open_Source_Ruby_on_Rails_Shopping_Cart

Dugg it, and Reddit
http://programming.reddit.com/search?q=+Open+Source+Ruby+on+Rails+Shopping+Cart

Rails mailing list

Bill G. (aka aGorilla)
The best answer to most questions is “it depends”.

My advice if this thing is going to evolve is to keep the core simple,
and
offer add-ons that give extra functionality. Eg shipping, inventory,
payment
processing. The problem with so many opensource eCommerce suites is that
they do everything and some, and many people only want a catalag and
cart,
plus the ability to see orders. All the rest is noise, is therefore
redundant, and that redundant cruft is a barrier to understanding and
usage.

Of course, you can do what you want. Just my opinion after looking at
several eCommerce “solutions” over the years.

Geoff

subimage interactive wrote:

Whoah I had a little scare there. The site made it to the front page of
Digg.

I had my MaxClients set to 20 in apache. Bumping it up to 200 helped a
lot
:wink:

Thanks to everyone who dugg the story!

i might as well chime in here as well, already hit digg and your site.
i’m going to give this a whirl and see how it stacks up to the
competition, including the nightmare of an e-commerce app i’ve been
gnawing away at for the last couple of months.

if you need testing/feedback i’ll be more than happy to send my thoughts
your way. already joined the google group. i can’t wait to see this
really take shape!

IF that’s the case, then the Depot app should fit the bill just fine.

That’s what I’m starting out from (i.e., adding ActiveRBAC to it to do
logins and such, then shipping.rb, payment.rb, etc). Another goal is
to add code to shipping.rb to support USPS’ web api, too…

Dugg :wink: Nice work!