Forum: Ruby on Rails Connectivity to Microsoft SQL Server using ADO

Based on this page:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoConne...

using this specification

development:
  adapter: sqlserver
  database: database_name
  host: server_name
  username: user_name
  password: your_pw_here

in database.yml for your SQL Server connection doesn't work.  Some
debugging code reveals that only the password comes through into
sqlserver_adapter.rb when you use it.  I'm not sure why.

NOTE - you still have to copy the ADO.rb file per the HOWTO

However, this seems to work:

development:
  adapter:  sqlserver
  database: database_name
  host: DBI:ADO:Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=localhost,1692
  username: user_name
  password: your_pw_here

Platform:
Windows XP Professional
Rails 1.8.2
DBI 0.2
ADO 0.1
D1fb4423204d9440a1b7aacce50eb641?d=identicon&s=25 Corey Lawson (Guest)
On 3/13/06, Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> wrote:
>   username: user_name
>   password: your_pw_here
>
> in database.yml for your SQL Server connection doesn't work.  Some
> debugging code reveals that only the password comes through into
> sqlserver_adapter.rb when you use it.  I'm not sure why.
>
> NOTE - you still have to copy the ADO.rb file per the HOWTO

Yes, you need to download/install this properly, but once done, the
above works just fine for me, but this is assuming one is not using a
named instance or Windows security.
I am not using Windows authentication, but it is a named instance.  Do
you know why the named instance would matter?

Wes