Forum: Ruby on Rails Dreamhost uploading

1e2dd87a31c5d3e07adc9efa375f4dc4?d=identicon&s=25 ryan (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 14:34
I haven't had a chance to upload my app and configure dreamhost, but I
did log in and create the folder using the "rails app_name" command.

Now, my question is, I read online to do this:

> cd domain.com
> rails my_app_name

So, I did just that.  Rails will know what to do even though my
application is in a sub-directory under "domain.com"?

Essentially,

/domain.com/my_app_name/app/

is where all of my folders are (i.e., models-views-controllers).

This seems ok to everyone?

Thanks.
D323e0daf5c222c68f89e0566002d0cc?d=identicon&s=25 Douglas Tan (Guest)
yeah, now you just need to configure web root for your domain to be
/domain.com/my_app_name/public
Cf7e5e4b5ca573eec214191fac420a2f?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Silvester (Guest)
On Monday 13 Mar 2006 13:34, ryan wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to upload my app and configure dreamhost, but I
> did log in and create the folder using the "rails app_name" command.

There's really no need to do that - you can just upload it once you've
finished building it on your local machine.  You don't need to create a
new
app on the Dreamhost server, since you're only going to overwrite it
when you
upload your app anyway.  (I'm assuming you have a working,
locally-developed
Rails app, and you literally just want to put it live?)

When it comes to getting Rails sites working on Dreamhost, this Wiki
entry has
worked well for me:  http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Ruby_on_Rails

If you need a bit more help, drop me an email and I'll see what I can
do.

Cheers,

~Dave

--