Forum: Ruby on Rails Subversion problem - since you guys talked me into it :)

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 02:28
Following the advice here I've been trying to get subversion installed
and working from my virtual dedicated server this weekend.  I believe
everything is installed properly, and that all that's left is to get the
apache httpd.conf file set up correctly.

to talk to my server with my client I'm using the path:
http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com/svn/repos/

error returned by the client is this:
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:826: (apr_err=175002)
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=175002)
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': Could not resolve hostname
`svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com': No address associated with
nodename (http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)

I have several other domains active on this server, so I'm using the
"named Virtual Host" aspect of apache
Here's the relevant part of my .conf file:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName www.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com
   ServerAlias mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com
   DocumentRoot "/home/corner/www/html"
   UserDir "/home/corner/www/html"
   <Directory "/home/corner/www/html">
	allow from all
	Options +Indexes
    </Directory>
    ErrorLog /home/corner/logs/errors.txt
    LogLevel notice
    TransferLog /home/corner/logs/access.txt
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com
    <Location /svn>
        DAV svn
        SVNParentPath /home/svnadmin/svn
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Subversion repository"
        AuthUserFile /home/svnadmin/svn-auth-file
        Require valid-user
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>


<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.yadda yadda yadda.net
...
and so on for three other domains
...
</VirtualHost>

I've tried it about a million ways by now and always get the same error.
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks,
jp
C1e5a9e9344b6d31b9df7303e6dc378a?d=identicon&s=25 Craig White (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 02:40
(Received via mailing list)
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 02:28 +0100, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
>
>     LogLevel notice
>         AuthUserFile /home/svnadmin/svn-auth-file
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I've tried it about a million ways by now and always get the same error.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> thanks,
----
I am very much a beginner at svn but I am quite sure that you don't want
your repository to be your actual live website.

you want your repository in some other directory, somewhere other than
in the live html documents tree.

Francois made a great little tutorial and it got me up and running in
less than a day and I have never used or set up svn before.
http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2006/03/09/subver...

your live web site(s) would be a 'checkout' point just like your
workstation except that you would generally just 'svn update' your live
website.

anyway... http:/relative/path/to/svn connections are for remote hosts
and local files are accessed via file:///path/to/svn

the configuration of apache has nothing really to do with the
configuration of svn repository.

Craig
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 03:04
(Received via mailing list)
Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=175002)
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': Could not resolve hostname
> `svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com': No address associated with
> nodename (http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)

There is no DNS entry for svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com.

Talk to your ISP, or whoever controls your DNS.

Ray
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 03:05
Craig, thanks, but I'm doing it a little bit different so I can get at
my repository from several different machines and so I can allow others
access to parts of my repository for collaboration.  My svn server IS on
my virtual hosting machine at my ISP.  From there I'll be able to get at
it from anywhere, and it will be backed up nightly by the isp.

So I'm still looking for help with this.

thanks,
jp

Craig White wrote:
>
> your live web site(s) would be a 'checkout' point just like your
> workstation except that you would generally just 'svn update' your live
> website.
>
> anyway... http:/relative/path/to/svn connections are for remote hosts
> and local files are accessed via file:///path/to/svn
>
> the configuration of apache has nothing really to do with the
> configuration of svn repository.
>
> Craig
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 03:21
Thanks Ray,
Somehow I was thinking that the subdomains were all handled locally.  I
went to my DNS setup control panel and I see that I have it set up for
domain.com and www.domain.com, so I added svn.domain.com per your
suggestion.  I guess now I'll have to wait for it to get passed around
to the other name servers before I'll see an effect.

Hope this fixes it.

thanks,
jp


Ray Baxter wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
>> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
>> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=175002)
>> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': Could not resolve hostname
>> `svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com': No address associated with
>> nodename (http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)
>
> There is no DNS entry for svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com.
>
> Talk to your ISP, or whoever controls your DNS.
>
> Ray
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 03:36
Well, Ray's suggestion got me one step closer.

Now the authorization is failing.

I double checked the location of my authorization file against that line
in the "location" block, and it agrees.  I also looked inside the file
and see the two users I expected in there.

Any likely reasons for this failure?
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repos'
subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=170001)
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': authorization failed
(http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)


Anybody know how the scoping works on this authorization?  My location
block looks like this:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com
    <Location /svn>
        DAV svn
        SVNParentPath /home/svnadmin/svn
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Subversion repository"
        AuthUserFile /home/svnadmin/svn-auth-file
        Require valid-user
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

and I was thinking that this would provide authorization for any
repositories that are in that ...svnadmin/svn directory  (in this case,
"repos").  Do I perhaps need a location block that specifies a specific
repository instead?

Any ideas?

thanks,
jp
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 04:04
(Received via mailing list)
Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=170001)
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': authorization failed
> (http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)


Check this through your web browser. Go to http://svn.mlcoti.com/svn and
try to authenticate yourself there.

If that works, check your svn configuration/url. If that doesn't work
(my guess) you'll need to fix your password file.

Ray
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 04:16
Thanks Ray.  Tried that.  Doesn't work through the browser either.
Tried creating a new test user with htpasswd with no options.  Still no
joy even through the web browser.

Any ideas how to "fix" my password file?

thanks,
jp


Ray Baxter wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
>> subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:296: (apr_err=170001)
>> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/repos': authorization failed
>> (http://svn.mylittlecorneroftheinternet.com)
>
>
> Check this through your web browser. Go to http://svn.mlcoti.com/svn and
> try to authenticate yourself there.
>
> If that works, check your svn configuration/url. If that doesn't work
> (my guess) you'll need to fix your password file.
>
> Ray
8dad1ec4d769734583f45fbbee5cd009?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Pritchard (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 04:47
One step closer.  The tech support at Rimu Hosting (great guys!) helped
me figure out that we needed to change ownership and permissions on some
of the password files/directories and add apache to the svnadmin group.

Long story short, I can break into my repository now, but when I try to
do anything (like create a new directory in the repos) I get "permission
denied" error.

Next thing to sort out.

thanks,
jp
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
on 2006-03-13 04:59
(Received via mailing list)
Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> Thanks Ray.  Tried that.  Doesn't work through the browser either.
> Tried creating a new test user with htpasswd with no options.  Still no
> joy even through the web browser.
>
> Any ideas how to "fix" my password file?

Make sure that you upload the file in text, and that the last line of
the file is empty.

Make sure that the htpasswd file is readable by your web server.

What does you web server error log say?

Ray
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.