Forum: Ruby newbie question about mkmf and dir_config

F335ef72cfc827c94dd0d7ad00e57b7f?d=identicon&s=25 Ralph Kon (Guest)
on 2006-03-12 00:13
Please help a beginner!  I'm trying to write my first c-extension, and I
don't understand the dir_config command.  I need to include 2 .h headers
and a library for some equipment.  Does the 'name' in dir_config('name')
refer to a directory, the header file, or the library?  Do I need to
include multiple dir_config lines or multiple options in the command
line, one for each seperate file?  The pickaxe section on this wasn't
written with total beginners in mind.
Thanks,
Ralph
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)

At Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:13:36 +0900,
Ralph Kon wrote in [ruby-talk:183710]:
> Please help a beginner!  I'm trying to write my first c-extension, and I
> don't understand the dir_config command.  I need to include 2 .h headers
> and a library for some equipment.  Does the 'name' in dir_config('name')
> refer to a directory, the header file, or the library?  Do I need to
> include multiple dir_config lines or multiple options in the command
> line, one for each seperate file?  The pickaxe section on this wasn't
> written with total beginners in mind.

dir_config('foo') enables --with-foo-dir option, which implies
--with-foo-include and --with-foo-lib options too, so you don't
need multiple dir_config calls.

A dir_config option has the effect on all checking methods, so
you don't need multiple options in the command line.